Security Installer Community

Drilling through a wall.....

borris

working in a set of refurbed offices in a warehouse had to run cables from window to window, flat roof so no loft and was in the old days of 1/2" galve tube (before trunking was even a twinkle).

i gave the job of running the cables to my trainee, i told him to make holes through the partitions big enough for an elbow to fit into the wall.

checks on him an hour later, big smile on his dust strewn face greets me, he gleefully shoves his arm through a hole in wall - you gessed it - past his elbow, and demonstrates same on 5 further walls asking is that big enough? :rolleyes:

site forman not too impressed :no:

regs

alan

this has actually had me crying with laughter for a good 5 minutes at the thought of this! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Thankyou for sharing that!

I used to work for sky and I went through someone's gas main pipe. Had to wait for gas engineer to attend address and I had to pay for the gas engineer it was a costly lesson one that all the time now I check, check, and check again before drilling.

well the company paid and it was taken out of my wage it is the way they work.

If the customer said you burst a brick they would pay for it to be replaced, customer says you wrecked her garden plants they paid, customer says you walked mud over there carpet you paid for a new carpet.

I am not sure if they can do that legally, if they have trained you to drill holes and use a pipe detector, and state in their handbook that you must always use the pipe detector then I suppose they could.But if you said you had used the pipe detector before drilling, they would still need to check your pipe detector regularly.

We supply pipe detectors and they are checked as part of the monthly vehicle check, all engineers are trained in their use and told they must use them. I would lay money they dont get used as often as they should. We still dont charge the engineers if they hit a pipe, but we can prove to our insurers that we have done all we could to prevent it (if we were to need to make a claim)

They dont work anyway

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived