Security Installer Community

Yee-haa its the Sky installer

Monteey

Yep another lassoo just near us brand new house too, sticks out a mile!.

So they are not allowed in attics? Is it not a tradesman requirement to do whatever the job takes?

I know its not the guys fault as they have many jobs in one day and the unfortunate thing is no one would pay for installation and are quite happy as long as it works.

Gets better with sky plus, now two cables to the outside!

Surely the CAI must have some say on installation?

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Surely the CAI must have some say on installation?

55472[/snapback]

Without wanting to get into a huge debate on the subject, the NICEIC, ECA, CORGI, IP, NACOSS\NSI, SSAIB etc.... also are there for the same reasons in different trades. Some are a bit more lenient than others, but all have their cowboys.

Im not sure Monteey, but I think it has 2 LNBs so that you can record one channel while watching another.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Yep, the idea behind the quad LNB is cost and ease of future upgrades for an addittional box.

Sky+ boxes are like 2 normal Sky digiboxes in one, with a DVR thrown in, but running on Windows ME, powered by an ageing asthmatic hamster on an undersized wheel. :whistle:

You are kidding about the windows platform??? 

55599[/snapback]

Er, yes. :unsure: They can be a bit flaky and crashy at times though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this...

flatfcon.jpg

Here's the text that goes with it: "An extremely thin ribbon cable with "F" connector each end for passing through narrow gaps such as windows and doors. The length of ribbon between connectors is 170mm. No measurable loss of signal or quality. Suitable for Digital satellite as well as Analogue or ordinary TV."

How f****n lazy is that?!

Trade Member

Looks more like a his & hers toothpaste tube :)

I couldnt sleep at nights if I used that kind of kit on my jobs. Surely even the installer would prefer to have one continueous cable instead of a F con eaither side of a door frame going into that toothpaste thing.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Seen those in loads of catalogues, been about for years. Never actually seen anyone use one though. If you're a rougharse you won't bother buying any special bodgery kit, you'l just wedge the cable in the window opening and slam it shut.

I see far more alarm cables in doorways than co-axes through window openings to be fair.

Archived