Security Installer Community

Part P Registration

datadiffusion

Hi all,

Does anyone here have any experience of the NICEIC Domestic Installers (Part P) registration scheme? I am qualified to 16th ed. and still do some contract work for an NICEIC company during the day to help the cashflow, but have been getting a few inquiries for rewires and alarms, so I am thinking of getting registered in order to carry on doing what I always used to!

Also, lets face it, its a good thing to have so you can put in seperate CCTV dis boards etc... and dedicated circuits for Fire / Intruder systems.

Going back to the registration, maybe I have read it (or others pricing) wrong but it sounds like you get your initial inspection and first years registration for 381 pounds? Whereas most seemed to want about 700 quid.

An interesting thought occurred to me, presumably, if I have completed the work alone, it would be OK to show the inspector full works I have recently carried out under my NICEIC contractor such as fuse board replacements, outbuilding supplies, kitchen wiring, i.e stuff you wouldnt normally be doing without Part P!

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

An interesting thought occurred to me, presumably, if I have completed the work alone, it would be OK to show the inspector full works I have recently carried out under my NICEIC contractor such as fuse board replacements, outbuilding supplies, kitchen wiring, i.e stuff you wouldnt normally be doing without Part P!

47845[/snapback]

Not sure about the charging structure as I've never bothered but I'm fairly certain you can't use the work you completed for someone else for your own certification as you need to be able to show a complete paper trail for your own records for all jobs.

I was thinking about this the other day and I'm not exactly sure what you can do to show them you're competent. In order to do one of the limited range of jobs to NICEIC standard you need to fully test your work, which involves dismantling the CU, which you can't do. So as I see it, all the NICEIC can see of your work if you're a new applicant is how you can change a double socket in a bedroom, as long as there's not a sink in there.

Not sure about the charging structure as I've never bothered but I'm fairly certain you can't use the work you completed for someone else for your own certification as you need to be able to show a complete paper trail for your own records for all jobs.

I was thinking about this the other day and I'm not exactly sure what you can do to show them you're competent. In order to do one of the limited range of jobs to NICEIC standard you need to fully test your work, which involves dismantling the CU, which you can't do. So as I see it, all the NICEIC can see of your work if you're a new applicant is how you can change a double socket in a bedroom, as long as there's not a sink in there.

47848[/snapback]

Quite. Although I do complete the certificates etc.. myself under contract, but I see your point. I am probably going to have to go up and down my own street offering a free socket replacement or a new plateswitch, whilst down the road I'm in the middle of a complete re-wire under my NICEIC contractor!!

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 3 weeks later...
Quite. Although I do complete the certificates etc.. myself under contract, but I see your point. I am probably going to have to go up and down my own street offering a free socket replacement or a new plateswitch, whilst down the road I'm in the middle of a complete re-wire under my NICEIC contractor!!

Stu.

47958[/snapback]

Just thought you might like to know, I finally had confirmation today that to join the NICEIC Domestic Installers Scheme, be assessed, and your first years fees costs 381 inc. VAT, if you pay by DD. Subsequent years are the same price.

And as for work to be inspected, well, in their own words they dont really care, even saying it would be OK if it were in your own house.

So, not just another Goverment backed scheme to generate cash for admin people without any proper checking being carried out then? :realmad:

Stu.

Sounds about right, no-one's actually bothered about quality worksmanship. I get the feeling the idea behind it is to just put cowboys off without anyone having to do any extra work, somewhat flawed from the outset I feel.

• 3 weeks later...

I understand that Part P came into effect at the beginning of the year. I have no electrician qualifications but have done a fair bit of this type of work (on the side, friens/family etc). Now lets say tomorrow I was to change the consumer unit in my house, add an extra circuit or fit an electric shower - etc etc, whos to say that the work was not done before Part P was introduced?

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

I understand that Part P came into effect at the beginning of the year. I have no electrician qualifications but have done a fair bit of this type of work (on the side, friens/family etc). Now lets say tomorrow I was to change the consumer unit in my house, add an extra circuit or fit an electric shower - etc etc, whos to say that the work was not done before Part P was introduced?

52945[/snapback]

Whats to say you did it correctly?

With Quality assurance most products are traceable, so if in the event of an incident, the dates could probably be narrowed down to a predefined period.

Its like most schemes a lot of self regulation is required and professional installers are to be expected to comply and to be honest about what you do.

If you were to be found out say someone got electrocuted, because your earthing wasn't correct etc, who are your really benefiting?

Where do you draw the line between Professional Installer or Cowboy?

Could it be that the Professional Installer complies and the Cowboy doesn't!

Archived