Security Installer Community

Part P Registration

datadiffusion

Now lets say tomorrow I was to change the consumer unit in my house, add an extra circuit or fit an electric shower - etc etc, whos to say that the work was not done before Part P was introduced?

52945[/snapback]

No idea, no-one's checked any of my work as a recently accredited 'incompetent' person. I've done works in new builds and extensions, with and without the involvement of building inspectors and never been asked for any proof of Part P certification yet. These are the jobs that building control are involved in, if they aren't bothered about these then they're not going to be bothered about anyone DIY'ing the job as they'll never get to know about it.

As others have said, Part P will come into effect when people start trying to sell houses without the buyers pack which should contain a recent test report. I'd give it a few months yet though. ;)

Guest IM_Alarms

You are correct that you can all 'get away with it', for a while but sooner or later some equipment/ materials will change shape/ colour which will identify that work could only have been done after the intruduction of Part P.

The NICEIC sayng that they don't care what work you show them, doesn't mean that they don't care how it's fitted, as they will go through it with a fine toothed comb and will ask you enough questions about 'your' work to ensure that it is yours and you do know how to install/ tests and provide paperwork for it.

If you are knowledgeable and conscientious, you shouldn't have a problem with the registration.

Good luck.

Guest IM_Alarms

My brother-in-law was contacted by a letting agent and told that he needed to get his house tested for Part P and it would cost £55 + vat per annum.

Luckily he called me as I informed him that as his house is brand new it would have a completion certificate which is valid for ten years! even if it needed testing it wouldn't be per annum. Makes you wonder how many old ladies have been shafted over Part P!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the principle of it, but the lack of info and scaremungering is appalling!

You would be surprised how many things you can still do without Part P. A friend had a job of re-fitting a kitchen after a fire, he replaced all the units, redecorated and replaced the light fitting. Whilst changing the fitting, he thought the cables were slightly scorched so he thought he'd been diligent and replace them (one from the hall/ one from the dining room). After the job was completed, the insurance company asked for a letter of confirmation that the electrical alterations had been Part P notified. He crapped his pants and called me, I looked up the list of things not covered by Part P and the replacement of cables damaged by fire/ vermin etc was exempt as long as it was a like for like replacement (even in a kitchen). Lucky escape, but the list of exempted items is longer than you think.

Am i right in understanding that Part P only covers dwellings, i.e houses, flats, or building containing dwellings i.e. pubs with flats above.

So Cowboys can actually install in the commercial and industrial. :) So if a shop needs fitting out they can do all the wiring in that?? After speaking with the NICEIC, they said you can do any electrical work as long as its not in the above.

Had a copy of Part P somewhere as a PDF, anyone would care to post it up again or send me a link.....

cheers

Dean

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

• 2 months later...
Guest enableNW

My company are now part P registered with NAPIT, but not yet registered with SSAIB or NACOSS. I'm trying to see if I can be afst tracked onto one of these, as all our alarm installers are time served electricians and electrical inspectors. It cost be about £500 all in all to get registered, but it's well worth it. We cert other people's work for £90 if the test comes back ok

Hi all

Hopefully this will answer some of your queries!

For NICEIC approval you will need approximately 4 / 5 jobs to show them. The criteria for those jobs are that YOU completed the testing and inspection and it is your name on the certificate as the inspector.

Part P, some of you out there may have already notice that a lot of electrical equipment is now being date stamped, also unless you shop at the great B&Q, you can now only purchase double pole sockets, fused spurs etc, it is now a contrevention of the regs to fit single pole devices. Also you will find that the majority of the policing of Part P will be done by the insurance / mortgage companies asking for certificates prior to granting mortgages / insurance.

Broadly speaking Part P covers any supply connected to a domestic property. Therefore if an industrial unit has a sub main ran into a domectic property then that premises will come under the remit of Part P

Regarding a comment made about cowboys in the commercial / industrial areas, plans are afoot with the ODPM to extend the competent person scheme to all areas.

Finally you do not need to be Part P registered to carry out a PIR on a domestic property, stupid I know but there it is.

My brother-in-law was contacted by a letting agent and told that he needed to get his house tested for Part P and it would cost £55 + vat per annum.

Luckily he called me as I informed him that as his house is brand new it would have a completion certificate which is valid for ten years! even if it needed testing it wouldn't be per annum. Makes you wonder how many old ladies have been shafted over Part P!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the principle of it, but the lack of info and scaremungering is appalling!

52959[/snapback]

Assuming your b-i-law was renting his house out, the letting agents where more correct than you may think. Firstly as far as letting is concerned, the certificate is not valid for 10 years. In guidance notes three, it clearly recommends that a PIR is completed yearly or at change of tenancy.

Under the Landlords Act 1988, it is a requirement that the landlord / agent must ensure that the electrical system is kept in a safe condition. The only acceptable way of proving that the system is being checked to comply with the act (aswell as the Health and Safety at Work Act)is by having a PIR completed at the recommended intervals.

Archived