Security Installer Community

Tough job, mi cable etc.

Alexg

I've just looked at a job which will have 6 cameras on the outside of a large industrial building. I met with the on-site "electrical engineer" who looks after the complex and he wants MI cable used for power to the cameras and he wants the coax and belden cable ran in steel conduit. The run will be high up on gurders running the length of the warehouse, doing a conduit install up at that height and with the run (the warehouse length is about 60 meters) will be a time consuming and expensive job.

I want to suggest using armored coax/belden instead of steel conduit as that will put the price right up. What do you guys think?

-Alex.

I've just looked at a job which will have 6 cameras on the outside of a large industrial building. I met with the on-site "electrical engineer" who looks after the complex and he wants MI cable used for power to the cameras and he wants the coax and belden cable ran in steel conduit. The run will be high up on gurders running the length of the warehouse, doing a conduit install up at that height and with the run (the warehouse length is about 60 meters) will be a time consuming and expensive job.

I want to suggest using armored coax/belden instead of steel conduit as that will put the price right up. What do you guys think?

-Alex.

46724[/snapback]

I think the electrical engineer knows his beans.

Jef

Customers!

For your info I am a qualified electrician and have many years experience with MI cable and steel conduit and industrial work.

What I am trying to discuss is a way of doing this job without the high price tag of conduit as I think it is unnecessary high up on a steel gurder which no one can get too! And I think an armored cable solution would be good but want to know what others would suggest.

-Alex

For your info I am a qualified electrician and have many years experience with MI cable and steel conduit and industrial work.

What I am trying to discuss is a way of doing this job without the high price tag of conduit as I think it is unnecessary high up on a steel gurder which no one can get too! And I think an armored cable solution would be good but want to know what others would suggest.

-Alex

46728[/snapback]

Alex, For your info I am a qualified electrician and have many years experience with MI cable and steel conduit and industrial work.

And

The Electrical Engineer knows his beans! Why upset him. Do a good job with the correct price. And the man will be happy. Why is conduit and MICC expensive?

Jef

Customers!

I will do a good job, that would never be in question :)

Conduit and the labor charges to go with are of course more expensive than using armored cables...you must know yourself how many times one would have to go up and down that cherry picker for a 60 meter run!

I am not trying to bodge this; I am simply stating that conduit may not necessary here? I have no problem with the MI run.

I think an armored cable clamped to the gurder every say 10" would be sufficiant.

looking forward to replies from others :-)

-Alex.

Labour intensity.

46733[/snapback]

What do you want to do Norman? Throw a couple of cat 5s over the steel into the purlins and send LV down the line with cable Bauns. No didn

Customers!

I will do a good job, that would never be in question :)

Conduit and the labor charges to go with are of course more expensive than using armored cables...you must know yourself how many times one would have to go up and down that cherry picker for a 60 meter run!

I think an armored cable clamped to the gurder every say 10" would be sufficiant.

looking forward to replies from others :-)

-Alex.

46734[/snapback]

Alex listen to yourself

Customers!

Yes I would, but I wouldn't be up and down the ladder cutting and threading it :-)

The rest of the building is wired in SWA cable-tied to gurders which is why I think conduit is excessive for this job.

I am going to go see him again on Monday and discuss the job in detail with him.

-Alex.

Why dont you go down the N.V.T route run two cat 5s and get your 6 cameras plus spares just go back to the sparky and tell him where you want your spurs for your P.S.Us that will bump the price up....

Garry.

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

Archived