Security Installer Community

Tough job, mi cable etc.

Alexg

I have 19 years at sparking and 12 at security I reckon that conduit and pyro in the webs of the roof supports requires virtually no clipping and will be nearly as fast. The engineer KNOWS what he wants will be costly so whats the problem if everyone pricing is on the same spec its fair enough. Give him a moderatley expensive price but dont rip the ar*e out of it and in my experience you will get it.

Ok, Point taken.. I must admit I would get satisfaction out of doing a good job with a good permanent run and I should be able to make a bit on it, I'll have to do my priceing carefully on it.

Thankyou for the replies.

Regards, Alex.

PS:-

I'm really impressed with that you guys are really interested in making sure a good job is done, especially jb-eye who seemed to be getting a bit worked up with me :-)

Good on you lads.

Regards, Alex.

Just to add, (as another qualified sparky ;)), if it's a straight run then there won't be any cutting and threading. Galv tube comes with the ends pre-threaded so you just need to turn it and it's in! Through box every couple of lengths and a box of girder clips, job done.

Fancy subbing it out, I enjoy a nice bit of galv tube. :)

You will probly find that the onsite engineer is a bit jellous because he wanted to have a go at putting in the cctv.He might have been looking on ebay or in exchange and mart and thinking you might be ripping the company of because he can get 6 cameras and a dvr for £500.

Most of the onsite engineers i have come across have been a bit of a jobs worth.

The last one I came across fitted a switch spur by the alarm panel. I told him it needed to be unswitched and he went into one. He reckond you couldnt isolate it locally if it was unswitched. So wot happens if you pull the fuse on the spur then????? banghead.

Why dont you fit your local power supplys and get them to fit the spurs??

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Guest RICHL
The engineer KNOWS what he wants will be costly ....

46746[/snapback]

this is the most important point, have a few figures worked out before you go back and see him and just a good chat with him and make sure he understands the options. It may be that he is wanting to tidy up all the poor quality installs in the place, starting with the CCTC.

Lurch:- I know steel conduit comes threaded at each end, I've worked with it for years and even on the gurders its not a straight run and would need quite a few sets where the steels meet as it has to be bent under then returned back up up.

Isc systems: - he didn't seem like he had an intension to fit them himself.

He doesn

this is the most important point, have a few figures worked out before you go back and see him and just a good chat with him and make sure he understands the options. It may be that he is wanting to tidy up all the poor quality installs in the place, starting with the CCTC.

46773[/snapback]

All the wireing there seemes quite neat, all SWA for power on cable trays.

I have just got back from the site and me and him had a good chat there and he is happy with the new idea of using the cable tray on the wall.

Regards,

Alex.

Why is conduit and MICC expensive?

Jef

46731[/snapback]

Labour intensive.

What do you want to do Norman? Throw a couple of cat 5s over the steel into the purlins and send LV down the line with cable Bauns. No didn

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

The last one I came across fitted a switch spur by the alarm panel. I told him it needed to be unswitched and he went into one. He reckond you couldnt isolate it locally if it was unswitched. So wot happens if you pull the fuse on the spur then????? banghead.

46769[/snapback]

It turns it off, but doesn't isolate it. banghead ;)

Isolation is required in all poles, functional switching is provided in phase conductors only so lightswitches\unswitched spurs etc... are functional switches. Switched fused spurs\douple pole switches etc... are isolators as they isolate allpoles. (The above examples apply to single phase systems).

Archived