Security Installer Community

IP CCTV

Anyone using this type of technology on a regular basis if so how resilient is it and what would be best for a factory floor with low light levels at a reasonable cost. Any advice would be greatly accepted.

43189[/snapback]

The only way to go. I was shopping at tesco (god i hope eng doesn’t read this) :wub: and noticed that they have installed power tracks all the way through the isles and hung pelco domes off it. Each camera is wired on cat 5 and the whole system is networked over IP at least 40 points (some bandwidth eh.)

We have a number of retailers on IP. As i said the only way to go.

Jef

Customers!

Guest PaulR

I've yet to see an IP system with software that impressed me. Cannot playback all the cameras at once. Poor image quality. Poor usability. Uses bandwidth that stops everyone else using the network, or slows everything down unless it is a dedicated CCTV network.

Tends to confuse everyone as IT people do not know a lot about CCTV, and CCTV people do not know enough about networking - and I appreciate that is a broad statement and there will always someone that knows both, but I am talking in general terms.

I just think the whole IP issue is not developed enough as yet - but it wil not be long I am sure.

Or have I just been looking in the wrong place?

I've yet to see an IP system with software that impressed me. Cannot playback all the cameras at once. Poor image quality. Poor usability. Uses bandwidth that stops everyone else using the network, or slows everything down unless it is a dedicated CCTV network.

Tends to confuse everyone as IT people do not know a lot about CCTV, and CCTV people do not know enough about networking - and I appreciate that is a broad statement and there will always someone that knows both, but I am talking in general terms.

I just think the whole IP issue is not developed enough as yet - but it wil not be long I am sure.

Or have I just been looking in the wrong place?

43345[/snapback]

I agree with Paul the IP equipment that available at the moment is still not quite there, have seen some good equipment from D-link though, reasonably priced it seems.

I agree with Paul the IP equipment that available at the moment is still not quite there, have seen some good equipment from D-link though, reasonably priced it seems.

43357[/snapback]

I Agree with the last two guys,IT departments are very protective of their band width and hate the idea of cctv sharing their network, the most benficial use of IP cctv system is on large systems of 16+ yet this is the size bandwidth that the IT guys will fight a dual with wet fish from 10 paces to keep off their network,it will only become acceptable when the bandwidth can be compressed to at least 50% what it is now and eventually25% then we will be able to use it anywhere! Paul:yapping:

Perhaps when everyone has moved from 10/100 to cat 6 gigabit it will become more feasible.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived