Security Installer Community

Sensors to operate a series of fountains

Guest SkyCatcher

Guest SkyCatcher

Hi,

I'm designing a water display for a disabled persons garden. The idea is to have 3 fountains under a gridded walkway. As a person is pushed along in their wheelchair the 1st fountain would be switched off. As they pass over the top of it and past to a suitable distance (2m) it would be switched back on and the next fountain swicthed off (& so on...). The walkway will be oneway only.

What would be the best type (and cost effective & simple!) of sensor equipment to use. The fountains would be about 250Watts.

Thanks,

Sky

Hi,

I'm designing a water display for a disabled persons garden. The idea is to have 3 fountains under a gridded walkway. As a person is pushed along in their wheelchair the 1st fountain would be switched off. As they pass over the top of it and past to a suitable distance (2m) it would be switched back on and the next fountain swicthed off (& so on...). The walkway will be oneway only.

What would be the best type (and cost effective & simple!) of sensor equipment to use. The fountains would be about 250Watts.

40172[/snapback]

I hate to be negative but why have you been charged with such a project when you don’t have a clue? If you want to help the disabled garden, either give a good reason why we/i should give you the knowledge for such a simple task or give it up and get the employer to offer the job to one of the many competent guys on this site.

Jef

Customers!

Hi Sky,

As Brian says point to point beams would be the better option although if expense plays a big part you might want to consider a suitably masked external PIR like the Opal. Both devices require a 12v supply and offer a voltage free contact for connection to your controller.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Basically you will need 6 pairs of beams to do it easily; 1 to stop and 1 to start each fountain.

It could also be done with 3 pairs with combinations of latching relays and'or timed relays.

you could probably use cheaper infrared beam pairs like the types used for automatic gates etc.

either way, it's not really all that straight forward to avoid the fountains reactivating after passing the first beam.

some kind of pressure mat may also work? or if the bridge is only just wide enough for a wheelchair, some kind of switch activated by the chair passing?

there's probably loads of ways to achieve your goal.

Like jef said (a little harshly!) get someone in that deals in these devices.

:)

If you don't know......ask.

Basically you will need 6 pairs of beams to do it easily; 1 to stop and 1 to start each fountain.

It could also be done with 3 pairs with combinations of latching relays and'or timed relays.

you could probably use cheaper infrared beam pairs like the types used for automatic gates etc.

either way, it's not really all that straight forward to avoid the fountains reactivating after passing the first beam.

some kind of pressure mat may also work? or if the bridge is only just wide enough for a wheelchair, some kind of switch activated by the chair passing?

there's probably loads of ways to achieve your goal.

Like jef said (a little harshly!) get someone in that deals in these devices.

:)

40186[/snapback]

Thanks Brian C. I had worked out that 6 sensors/beams would be the min needed. Who would be the best to contact? Alarm companies or sensor manufactures?

Sky.

Your point is noted. All I can say is that know about the fountain end of the task and while having a rudimentary knowledge of automation I would like to know I have looked at all option available. I'm certainly not trying to take work away from the professionals in security.

40184[/snapback]

OK, OK, You mentioned the chairs go over a grided walkway. I would do the job different to Brian (no disrespect to your design Brian) The first would be to build a simple control panel to control relays and you connect the fountains to the relays I am suggesting a relay with a timer board available from all good alarm suppliers. Now all we have to do is provide the switches I am suggesting a number of photo cells sited under the walk way (we use these for roller shutters allowing them to be raised to a pre determined heights) at locations and in patterns that will switch timer relays when the grate is walked or wheeled over. The system will even work at night. The whole project runs on a 12VDC supply with the exception of the fountains and control board it will require little maintenance has no projecting parts and all wiring is concealed below the walkway. You can even put coloured lights on it. Estimated build cost less than £450.00

Now all you have to do is build it?

Good Luck

Jef

Customers!

Would a sensor loop not do it, the type you put in roads?

40197[/snapback]

I think the inductance loops work on metallics only, The fancy carbon fibre jobby chairs would get soaked. :cry:

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived