Security Installer Community

Can anyone help a Network muppet?

Monteey

Hi guys, im trying to do something that is dead easy but struggling like hell at the moment, namely network my pc and laptop together.

So far i have managed to get the home network setup wizard thingy done on both computers and somehow managed to gain internet access through the network from my laptop, but that is it. Im trying to share the hard drives between one another and printer but it doesnt seem to want to know. Where am i going wrong?

Im running XP Home on PC and XP Pro on laptop, direct cable connection with crossover cable.

Thanks for any help

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

If you right click the drives and prionter, theres a setting for sharing.

Try that and if you still cant share then add some more details, network settings for ach network device.

Via network wizard, the home PC will be connected and act as a main gateway, leave it open while your setting it up.

Then let us know how you get on

Can you see the other computer in Network Neighbourhood

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hmm i seem to have a network bridge as well as a local connection, is this right, no i cant see the laptop but it in network places, says its connected

40078[/snapback]

Pop into the chat room if you like, will be easier.

Hmm i seem to have a network bridge as well as a local connection, is this right, no i cant see the laptop but it in network places, says its connected

40078[/snapback]

Pop into the chat room if you like, will be easier.

You too Breff , Ex Hawley Lad me ;)

To see the drives you have to right click them in My Computer and click sharing, then select user level sharing, I usually log in on both machines as administrator.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Microsoft peer networking has a nasty habit of not actually making stuff visible and also just stopping working. Here are a few tips I've found that help:

1. If you've got it working and it stops, if all else fails run the networking wizard again.

2. The networking wizard appears to do things "under the hood" that setting up manually doesn't do. You can set up a network manually that should work, but doesn't, but with the wizard and exactly the same settings, it does!

3. Make sure you explicitly share resources such as printers and directories or you won't be able to access them from another machine.

4. Don't share the root directory of a drive such as C: or D:

5. Make sure that any shared resource has a short name, less than 8 characters, letters and numbers only. This also applies to computer names.

6. If you can't find a resource (from another machine) to share, add it in explicitly by name. For accessing disks, map network drive (to a letter) is more reliable than other methods.

7. Wait for the network to be "up and running" before changing any sharing. This can take minutes rather than seconds.

8. Let the software use a default workgroup name if you can, with all computers in the same workgroup.

9. Browsing the network is highly unreliable in my experience.

Good luck. :)

• 7 months later...

Gave up ages ago mate, too much of a hassle :fear:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Archived