Security Installer Community

Can anyone help a Network muppet?

Monteey

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Netcomm UK Ltd

Make sure that both PC's have the same IP range, ie. 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2

Make sure that both PC's are in the same subnet mask, ie. 255.255.255.0

Go to START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > COMPUTER NAME: Give each PC a description.

Go to START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > COMPUTER NAME: Click the 'CHANGE' button at the bottom where it mentions about workgroups. Make sure each PC has a name and click the 'WORKGROUP' radio button. Make sure that the workgroup name is exactly the same for both PC's.

Open your command prompt and see if you can ping each PC from the other one, ie. PING 192.168.0.1 or PING 192.168.0.2

If that's ok, then you may just need to go into your workgroup and refresh. Otherwise if still not working, check whether you have any firewals installed and if so, check these are opened up for local networking.

Regards,

• 5 months later...
Guest RichardS
Make sure that both PC's have the same IP range, ie. 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2

Make sure that both PC's are in the same subnet mask, ie. 255.255.255.0

Go to START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > COMPUTER NAME: Give each PC a description.

Go to START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > COMPUTER NAME: Click the 'CHANGE' button at the bottom where it mentions about workgroups. Make sure each PC has a name and click the 'WORKGROUP' radio button. Make sure that the workgroup name is exactly the same for both PC's.

Open your command prompt and see if you can ping each PC from the other one, ie. PING 192.168.0.1 or PING 192.168.0.2

If that's ok, then you may just need to go into your workgroup and refresh. Otherwise if still not working, check whether you have any firewals installed and if so, check these are opened up for local networking.

Regards,

Agree - also if you can't ping between the two machines make sure that your software firewall(s) are not set to block ICMP traffic, also make sure that the machines IP's are added to the 'trusted' zone on the firewalls if using a router. However if one PC is acting as a gateway for the other you may want to have that machine in the 'internet' zone on the other PC.

i found with my network that i could not share drives, printers etc untilll i run the network setup wizard on both computers, shared the drives manually through drive properties and then turning off windows xp firewall, buyt only disable xp firewall if you have another firewall installed.

Then my network worked a treat,

i found with my network that i could not share drives, printers etc untilll i run the network setup wizard on both computers, shared the drives manually through drive properties and then turning off windows xp firewall, buyt only disable xp firewall if you have another firewall installed.

Your network wasn't configured properly to start with, running the network wizard just did something you didn't.

You don't need to turn firewalls off, just let local network traffic through. Depending what other firewall you have it may make no difference as some don't allow local network traffic by default.

Archived