Security Installer Community

Wiring PIR

Guest Chrisyates

I don't seem to be getting very far with this query, with the exception of the helpful reminder about using a laching PIR.

Please note that I cannot replace the four wire between the alarm panel and the outbuilding - I am stuck with it.

What I need to know ishow to wire a PIR and two door detectors with a four wire cable. The crux of the question is how do I get power to the PIR?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

39412[/snapback]

Do you have mains in the outbuilding?

I'd do what Eng suggested, fit a slave panel in the outbuilding and use the 4 core to trigger your main system.

If you don't know......ask.

I don't seem to be getting very far with this query, with the exception of the helpful reminder about using a laching PIR.

Please note that I cannot replace the four wire between the alarm panel and the outbuilding - I am stuck with it.

What I need to know ishow to wire a PIR and two door detectors with a four wire cable. The crux of the question is how do I get power to the PIR?

39412[/snapback]

Wire 1 = +12V

Wire 2 = 0V

Wire 3 = PIR contact

Wire 4 = Door contact

use double end of line resistors.

what kind of DEOL does your panel support?

39412[/snapback]

I think the only realistic, and compliant, option would be as Eng and Brian suggested and fit a slave system in the remote buildings. I doubt that your existing panel will support iD or DEOL so that'll be a hefty upgrade charge.

Using the 4 core to wire the PIR and contacts from the existing panel without additional equipment is classed as a bodge in my eyes, and probably everyone elses here.

Using the 4 core to wire the PIR and contacts from the existing panel without additional equipment is classed as a bodge in my eyes, and probably everyone elses here.

39431[/snapback]

indeed :yes:

39412[/snapback]

Now that the cable is in, other than the alterantive options suggested, (i.e. Slave systems etc) the only way is to use two cores for the 2 doors and the other two cores for the PIR.

Provide the 12v power from a local PSU in the new barn and tamper-proof the cores by using End-of Line's, - if the panel will support them.

However, if the main system is looked after by a local company you'd be better letting them do it and do it their way, as the panel may then still need some extra programming for the new zones. Also there may be a warranty issue if you start fiddling ! ;)

Alan

ARJ Security

A nearly retired previous installer !

Now that the cable is in, other than the alterantive options suggested, (i.e. Slave systems etc) the only way is to use two cores for the 2 doors and the other two cores for the PIR.

Provide the 12v power from a local PSU in the new barn and tamper-proof the cores by using End-of Line's, - if the panel will support them.

However, if the main system is looked after by a local company you'd be better letting them do it and do it their way, as the panel may then still need some extra programming for the new zones. Also there may be a warranty issue if you start fiddling ! ;)

Alan

ARJ Security

39849[/snapback]

better off fitting a slave

• 1 month later...
it you fitted a psu in the barn and used it for power you would not have enogh cores as you would need a common neg to the main panel.

45393[/snapback]

Only if you needed to power a rio or other type of expander, you dont need to common the neg's for PIR's or other powered detection devices only.

Archived