Security Installer Community

Wiring PIR

Guest Chrisyates

Guest Chrisyates

Hi - can someone help, pse?

I have a wireless alarm in my house - a converted barn with thick walls. I am now extending the alarm to cover an outbuilding - another barn with thick walls. I have taken a 4-wire cable from the alarm panel to the outbuilding, and want to wire two door detectors and one PIR to what will become a hard-wired zone on the alarm panel. The door detectors will be wired in series - no problem.

My question: how do I wire the PIR using 4-wire cable? Is there a PIR with a local battery supply available?

I would strongly suggest using 8 core cable, then you could power the PIR from the panel.

Is your control panel capable of wireless and hardwiring?

What kind of control panel do you have?

How far is the outbuilding to be alarmed, from the panel? It may need it's own PSU.

What is the enviroment like inside the outbuilding? Will a PIR suffice?

There is more to than meets the eye. If you are not 100% confident in what you're doing, find a local installer from the yellow pages or post your location and someone from the forum should be able to help.

If you don't know......ask.

Guest Chrisyates
I would strongly suggest using 8 core cable, then you could power the PIR from the panel.

Is your control panel capable of wireless and hardwiring?

What kind of control panel do you have?

How far is the outbuilding to be alarmed, from the panel? It may need it's own PSU.

What is the enviroment like inside the outbuilding? Will a PIR suffice?

There is more to than meets the eye. If you are not 100% confident in what you're doing, find a local installer from the yellow pages or post your location and someone from the forum should be able to help.

39291[/snapback]

Hi - can someone help, pse?

I have a wireless alarm in my house - a converted barn with thick walls. I am now extending the alarm to cover an outbuilding - another barn with thick walls. I have taken a 4-wire cable from the alarm panel to the outbuilding, and want to wire two door detectors and one PIR to what will become a hard-wired zone on the alarm panel. The door detectors will be wired in series - no problem.

My question: how do I wire the PIR using 4-wire cable? Is there a PIR with a local battery supply available?

39289[/snapback]

This very much depends of your control panel. 4 wires is enough for professional panels to wire two zones IF the cable is able to conduct enough current that is needed by the equipment.

Whether or not you can 'end of line' zones on your panel or not, which would enable power and detection over 4 wires, contacts and PIRs should not be mixed on the same zone especially if the pir cannot be latched.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

You could use iD biscuits, could you not?

Somewhat a moot point I feel as I think we're talking about a B&Q special here.

39329[/snapback]

You could even put a zone expander in there and have loads of zones if the panel supports them!

Trade Member

....if the panel supports them!

39337[/snapback]

That's where I think all the good ideas don't work here, so it comes back to the answer - use 8 core minimum and put the PIR and contacts on seperate zones. Anything else is a bodge.

Archived