Security Installer Community

engineer access codes

Guest jasper

This subject started with an unregistered "guest" member asking a simple question that some people have judged to be a bit naive.

Well, maybe it was, but the first answer was quite good, relevant and helpful.

After that it seems to have degenerated into a number of TRADE MEMBER's doing what I would bluntly call "taking the *i**". (mick)

Do you think that is professional?

What impression is it giving to the questioner about you, your business and your attitude to customers? Or anyone else for that matter?

This subject started with an unregistered "guest" member asking a simple question that some people have judged to be a bit naive.

Well, maybe it was, but the first answer was quite good, relevant and helpful.

After that it seems to have degenerated into a number of TRADE MEMBER's doing what I would bluntly call "taking the *i**". (mick)

Do you think that is professional?

What impression is it giving to the questioner about you, your business and your attitude to customers? Or anyone else for that matter?

39278[/snapback]

Personally, I think that's a little harsh, Andy. The guest's question was answered and nobody has been insulting, rude or abusive to the guest.

The banter afterwards, I would class as friendly and nobody is the direct 'butt of the joke'.

I find it very lighthearted and amusing, personally.

:)

If you don't know......ask.

I think its time that we had a questionaire before guests and diyers start posting.

This one is a classic example, the company are still in business yet the guest has not asked them the code for the system installed by them?

Many people post for help on here yet never give a reason why they have not contacted a company for a free quote etc?

Maybe people have contacted people, been given the hard sell ar a load of rubbish and feel put off asuming that all firms must be like that, this is the people we need to help.

Iit seems more people are using this site as a quick fix or class themselves 'above the need for an engineer'.

Lets get a questionaire going for guests etc so we can all view their answers when they start posting on here, it will give us an insight to what the person is like.

Can be used as their profile

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Personally, I think that's a little harsh, Andy. The guest's question was answered and nobody has been insulting, rude or abusive to the guest.

The banter afterwards, I would class as friendly and nobody is the direct 'butt of the joke'.

I find it very lighthearted and amusing, personally.

:)

39280[/snapback]

Thanks for editing my post Brian; slip of the keyboard; sorry :D

I wasn't trying to be harsh, but to make a valid point. It may seem lighthearted to you, and no doubt many others including myself, but equally it can be seen in a negative light. As several of you moderators are always reminding people, this forum can be seen by anyone.

Someone not "in the trade" is inevitably going to judge "the trade" by what the professionals say in public, perhaps unfairly. There's a huge amount of really helpful and positive stuff in here, but human nature means people always remember the negative experience.

Thanks for editing my post Brian; slip of the keyboard; sorry  :D

I wasn't trying to be harsh, but to make a valid point. It may seem lighthearted to you, and no doubt many others including myself, but equally it can be seen in a negative light. As several of you moderators are always reminding people, this forum can be seen by anyone.

Someone not "in the trade" is inevitably going to judge "the trade" by what the professionals say in public, perhaps unfairly. There's a huge amount of really helpful and positive stuff in here, but human nature means people always remember the negative experience.

39286[/snapback]

I couldn't agree with you more Andy. However, in this particular example, I don't see anything that could/would cause offense.

I can't see how having a laugh about Alice Cooper and Meatloaf servicing your alarm would give a derigatory view of any of us professionals.

If you don't know......ask.

All Cooper is quite a big and well respected firm, they fit the good stuff.

I know a few Engineers who have worked for them.

There arent many queries asked in this forum, that dont get the snide remarks or off-topic replies..? We should all be used to it by now..?

But in some respects I agree with amateurandy in that certain replies could be seen to present a bad image off the person replying which could give a bad impression of the company they work for, and this forum in general.

Each reply should be regarded as your 1st contact with a potential customer. Ok a little jest cant do you any harm, but how many customers respond well to a piss-take...?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 2 weeks later...

Here I go, I'll put my head on the block ....

I do agree with amatuerandy's point in the main.

I'm in the trade and have started looking at this site regularly over the past couple of months. I've noticed that I often find that once a question is asked, the first 3 or 4 replies are fairly useful and relevant and then it starts to leave the subject and descend into general non-related chit-chat and banter. Isn't there a specific area for non-related items ?

I think the site is a great concept and very useful to both trade and public, but it's true what Andy says and that is, that the those members of the general public who read our comments will form their oppinions from them. I haven't posted 20 items yet to obtain 'trade status', as I'd rather keep my postings relevant and helpful, rather than just post anything to reach the target.

It was probably a genuinely innocent question from a member of the public, and hopefully he's not going to get the answer for obvious reasons, as somebody has kindly explained.

As Kipper has suggested, people may be using the site as a route to a quick fix and save a call-out fee, but it always amazes me how many people tell me that they don't know who installed the system as it was there when they moved in to the house. When you ask if they've ever called the number on the Alarm box outside they always seem to say " Oh - I didn't think of that ! "

Perhaps that should be the first answer to most questions posted on here, and point out that the original installer is more than likely going to be the cheapest solution. He is the one who holds the key information such as the engineers code, the system design and where the cables were routed. That's got to be atleast 1/2 hours labour saved from the start.

There, I've said my bit. Please go lightly with me - I'm new ! :unsure:

Alan

ARJ Security

A nearly retired previous installer !

Archived