Security Installer Community

Hello One & All

Hi everyone - Longtime lurker, but decided to register and interact.

Intruder, Fire, Networking, and Telecoms enthusiast who often considers if I should be on the ground more and in the office less, but ultimately I just allow my enthusiasm for these systems to mannifest in my home life and those of friends and family who indulge my hobbies.

I work in the protection of CNI (Critical National Infrastructure) which is fun and interesting. I think in part my work has reflected in my often over-engineering in my home setup / playground.

At home I use a Texecom wired alarm, grade 3 install, SP4 signalling via Redcare Ultimate. I did the installation and programming myself, and the hardest part was to get a company to then take it over from me. I accept this was going to be difficult, but I just didn't want someone else to have all the fun of wiring and programming  🙂

I also intalled a less-fancy C-Tec XFP addressable fire panel (2 heat detectors, 9 smokes, and 7 sounders). I'd love to upgrade this to VESDA / air sampling but I am waiting on getting asbestos textured ceilings dealt with properly before I look at running any samplying pipes.

In my work, we focus a lot on layers of security expanding outward and upward from infrastructure, but I've avoided installing radar detection in the garden or digging a moat around my home!!! That being said, I do a lot with pre-alarming and confirmation / verification, but my desire for perimetre detection has proven difficult in a garden environment.

I'm extremely lucky in having a better half who lets me get on with my hobbies, although I did most recently get a telling off when a leak detector switched off the water to the entirity of the house whilst I was travelling away from home, after I had tried my hand at copper pipe plumbing. Flowers resolved the telling off and I promised to take some lessons in soldering before fitting a water softener in future. 🤣

I'm by no means an expert but I enjoy playing around. The home is protected beyond our needs and I accept this sometimes makes life harder for myself, but I love learning so keep at it. If I use the wrong term or seem like I don't know what I'm talking about, it's probably because I don't know what I'm talking about. 😉

Edited by pineapplecurlingswan

"Passwords are like underwear. Don't let people see it, change it very often, and you shouldn't share it with strangers."

21 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Hello and welcome

Thank you James! Another night owl?

"Passwords are like underwear. Don't let people see it, change it very often, and you shouldn't share it with strangers."

49 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I think the term is "Carer" ?

Yet if I say that, suddenly I'm locked out the house 😂

8 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

control 4

Isn't there some rule about swearing at people on this forum?

• Like 1

Hi and welcome, CCTV has come a long way in the last few years you can get systems with trip wires and intrusion boxes, when set up correctly the camera will only inform you if a human, or a vehicle, or both humans or vehicles enter the intrusion box or cross the tripwire. To be clear it can be set up as either singular or both.

image.png

Some systems can go much further than this you can have a system set up to alert you if anyone with a red jumper enters the site if you needed to.