Security Installer Community

Streaming CCTV video over LAN/Ethernet problems - "Authentication Error"

Hello,
This has been a bit of an issue which has been bugging me for a while but I got around it temporarily, however this workaround will not be possible for much longer.... the problem is that I have a DVR set up in an outbuilding to record images from a camera or two at the far end of the property where I am undertaking building works, that DVR is connected to my local network through a wired ethernet connection - when I have the ethernet cable connected straight through from the remote DVR to the primary router then logging in to the webpage for the remote DVR works fine and a live image is displayed... **BUT** if I connect the remote DVR through my secondary router, which is acting as a WiFi repeater and a LAN Switch, then the live image no longer shows; what makes this odd is that the HTML for the DVR webpage loads, but the actual image area shows a 'crashed image' icon - opening the image up seperately brings back
"Authentication Error:Access Denied, authentication error"
The primary router is recognising the device as being connected, and assigns an IP address - for the sake of argument we'll say 192.168.1.6. The primary router is currently an Huawei HG635 locked to TalkTalk with as-supplied firmware, which offers barely any functionality when it comes to specific port forwarding for example... the secondary repeater/switch router is a D-Link DSL-3780 (192.168.1.50).

I have tried other DVR's over this connection but get the same result:- no video through the repeater/switch router. Surely this isn't an all-out firewall block, because the HTML is loading and if it was a full block then I'd be getting a server timeout error. I suspect the problem lies somewhere in the D-Link router, but I am really not sure where because I have turned off all the usual security features that would be required if it were being used as a primary router.... that said however, I have had a longstanding problem with the main CCTV DVR (we'll give this an IP of 192.168.1.5) which is linked through the network via the Huawei router - the webpages show fine and configuration can be done, but no video over the web interface (yet video will be shown if a client software program is used) AND the other problem is that there is no telemetry over the network connection (cameras 1 and 6 have PTZ, but the PTZ controls on the web interface or on the client software do not provoke a response from the corresponding camera)........... I want to get this sorted over the next week because our internet is about to be upgraded to a new system using Amazon Eero Pro6 router(s), and so the old routers will be required as Ethernet switches due to the Eero only having 2 LAN ports; plus I want to know what settings everything needs to be on so I'm not spending hours/days trying to figure it all out again on a new router.

Does anybody here have an extensive enough knoweledge of routers and Ethernet/LAN connections and switches to be able to figure out what is going wrong?
(remote DVR: no live streaming video over web HTML interface... main DVR: no PTZ telemetry, no streaming video over web HTML interface but does stream on specific software)

Thanks.

If it definitely works without the routers then you have proved a routing issue.

We are talking old ISP provided tat routers, they often have issues a simple method is probably a couple of cheap switches.

I wouldn't trust providing any service via ISP provided junk routers.

You don't explain your testing method in enough detail but could be the router built in firmware blocking some traffic or double NAT or NAT passthrough.

Break down the issue so your dealing with one routing device at a time.

You say you want to fix it before you get the Eero but your likely to have similar issues with that aswell.

9 hours ago, Nelboy said:

Hello,
This has been a bit of an issue which has been bugging me for a while but I got around it temporarily, however this workaround will not be possible for much longer.... the problem is that I have a DVR set up in an outbuilding to record images from a camera or two at the far end of the property where I am undertaking building works, that DVR is connected to my local network through a wired ethernet connection - when I have the ethernet cable connected straight through from the remote DVR to the primary router then logging in to the webpage for the remote DVR works fine and a live image is displayed... **BUT** if I connect the remote DVR through my secondary router, which is acting as a WiFi repeater and a LAN Switch, then the live image no longer shows; what makes this odd is that the HTML for the DVR webpage loads, but the actual image area shows a 'crashed image' icon - opening the image up seperately brings back
"Authentication Error:Access Denied, authentication error"
The primary router is recognising the device as being connected, and assigns an IP address - for the sake of argument we'll say 192.168.1.6. The primary router is currently an Huawei HG635 locked to TalkTalk with as-supplied firmware, which offers barely any functionality when it comes to specific port forwarding for example... the secondary repeater/switch router is a D-Link DSL-3780 (192.168.1.50).

I have tried other DVR's over this connection but get the same result:- no video through the repeater/switch router. Surely this isn't an all-out firewall block, because the HTML is loading and if it was a full block then I'd be getting a server timeout error. I suspect the problem lies somewhere in the D-Link router, but I am really not sure where because I have turned off all the usual security features that would be required if it were being used as a primary router.... that said however, I have had a longstanding problem with the main CCTV DVR (we'll give this an IP of 192.168.1.5) which is linked through the network via the Huawei router - the webpages show fine and configuration can be done, but no video over the web interface (yet video will be shown if a client software program is used) AND the other problem is that there is no telemetry over the network connection (cameras 1 and 6 have PTZ, but the PTZ controls on the web interface or on the client software do not provoke a response from the corresponding camera)........... I want to get this sorted over the next week because our internet is about to be upgraded to a new system using Amazon Eero Pro6 router(s), and so the old routers will be required as Ethernet switches due to the Eero only having 2 LAN ports; plus I want to know what settings everything needs to be on so I'm not spending hours/days trying to figure it all out again on a new router.

Does anybody here have an extensive enough knoweledge of routers and Ethernet/LAN connections and switches to be able to figure out what is going wrong?
(remote DVR: no live streaming video over web HTML interface... main DVR: no PTZ telemetry, no streaming video over web HTML interface but does stream on specific software)

Thanks.

What dvr?

22 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Bridge between house & outbuilding, the hardware for upto 30km line of sight £300 inc vat

Why piss about ?

if it's the primary router causing the problems, then I'd still have the same problem but be £300 down after buying a bridge......
I do have an Acksys WLg-LINK OEM wireless bridge in my box of bits, but it doesn't seem to connect in 'bridge mode' - the primary router recognises an item connected with the IP I've specified in the LINK web-based interface, but won't connect wirelessly.

On 01/05/2023 at 09:36, sixwheeledbeast said:

If it definitely works without the routers then you have proved a routing issue.

We are talking old ISP provided tat routers, they often have issues a simple method is probably a couple of cheap switches.

I wouldn't trust providing any service via ISP provided junk routers.

You don't explain your testing method in enough detail but could be the router built in firmware blocking some traffic or double NAT or NAT passthrough.

Break down the issue so your dealing with one routing device at a time.

You say you want to fix it before you get the Eero but your likely to have similar issues with that aswell.

This is my concern.... the connection between the remote DVR and my PC when only using the Huawei primary router shows a live feed on the DVR web interface, it's only when routing through the primary router AND the repeater/switch router that I'm having problems; the repeater being a D-Link DSL-3780 and does have more available settings. One setting in the 'advanced' section is labelled as 'Virtual Server' which seems to be the closest thing for NAT settings; it allows WAN/PVC1/PVC2 interface and TCP/UDP protocols with the other settings being Internal IP, Internal Startport, Internal Endport, External Startport, External Endport. There's also a 'Special application' setting which is used to open single or multiple ports in the firewall when the router senses data sent to the Internet on a outgoing "Trigger" port or port range - though I have turned off the firewall on that repeater router anyway. I tried setting up a DMZ with 192.168.1.6 (the remote DVR) but it made no difference.

I do think there's something I'm missing, but not sure what. Doing a command-line Ping brings back 'packets sent: 4, received: 4, lost: 0; average time 0ms', yet still images don't show.

What's more is I have been trying a 2-cam IP encoder board on my network and that's also having unexpected results... the primary (Huawei) router shows the board as being connected but fails to assign an IP address to it - I have put in a DHCP reservation of 192.168.1.110 and yet despite this it is never assigned an IP address; doing a ping gets a 50% loss, the returned packets is a reply of 'destination unreachable' and using IP cam viewing software brings back TCP Error 10060 when I try and connect (both as 192.168.1.110:80 and 192.168.1.110:443) : this error being due to packet loss but not access being denied suggests something on my network is putting up a firewall where there shouldn't be one... and that's what I need help with. There's a lot of things I can do, but trying to set up cameras and DVR's to broadcast across the local network is clearly getting the better of me.
(it's worth noting that I connected the encoder board directly to my PC both with and without a crossover adapter and still couldn't get a connection)

Edited by Nelboy

2 hours ago, Nelboy said:

I do think there's something I'm missing, but not sure what. Doing a command-line Ping brings back 'packets sent: 4, received: 4, lost: 0; average time 0ms', yet still images don't show.

What's more is I have been trying a 2-cam IP encoder board on my network and that's also having unexpected results... the primary (Huawei) router shows the board as being connected but fails to assign an IP address to it - I have put in a DHCP reservation of 192.168.1.110 and yet despite this it is never assigned an IP address; doing a ping gets a 50% loss, the returned packets is a reply of 'destination unreachable' and using IP cam viewing software brings back TCP Error 10060 when I try and connect (both as 192.168.1.110:80 and 192.168.1.110:443) : this error being due to packet loss but not access being denied suggests something on my network is putting up a firewall where there shouldn't be one... and that's what I need help with. There's a lot of things I can do, but trying to set up cameras and DVR's to broadcast across the local network is clearly getting the better of me.
(it's worth noting that I connected the encoder board directly to my PC both with and without a crossover adapter and still couldn't get a connection)

So I assume a plain switch at the DVR end allows everything to work , £10 or so

Then just stick the other router on another output for wifi