Security Installer Community

Optima XM won’t set

Joy

Hi, we were woken the other morning by the external alarm making a repetitive single note sound I.e. not the normal alarm sound.  We changed the battery and after replacing the lid the control panel looked ok with the red ON and green DAY lights lit.  After entering the alarm code the system beeps (making a slightly different noise than before) but doesn’t set.  We’ve reset the system; checked all the alarm codes (apart from walk test as not sure how to do that); checked the two fuses and are at a loss what to do next.  Just wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions please?

General maintenance system checks with a multimeter would be a start. Primary and secondary voltages, charging rate, output voltages etc.

Seems maybe external was running on it's battery which shouldn't be the case at all with the mains on.

I would imagine if it's not had much maintenance and with it's age you'll likely need a new control panel.

Thank you sixwheeledbeast for replying so quickly.  We have a multimeter and have carried out all the checks we know how to do but cannot check voltages.  We now only have the power light on and zone 2 light but the keypad is now dead so not looking good ?.  When you said we might need a new control panel did you mean a new PCB or a new alarm system and would you have any recommendations for a simple replacement please?

If your not sure how to do these multimeter tests above I doubt there is a suitable DIY replacement. The is no point replacing the panel if you can't test these things to commission the new one IMO.

I would also suggest the external sounder be checked and possibly replaced if it was found to be faulty from it making a weak sound.

7Vdc is not enough something is faulty or not working correctly. Maybe the power is down and the new battery has drained out. Would need to test this.

agreed it should be 13.8v that panel is usually high so it sounds like lack of maintenance has killed it

sensors etc need >12v to work, so 7v things won't be able to function

id guess there is a lot of blackened area above the keypad on the caseing 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Agreed with above, if the new replacement battery is only showing 7v then its not getting charged.  Assuming that the replacement was new. The battery should be replaced every four years.

The problem with not replacing it is that it will degrade, and as it does it makes the charging circuit on the panel work harder, and the longer it works harder the more damage that is caused, after a while it is no longer charging.

So even replacing that old battery with a new one wont fix, it as the panel wont charge your new battery.

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to read my post and for your advice.  We will start looking for a new system.  Could anyone tell me if this would be possible without needing to rewire throughout the house or advise on the security of wireless systems please as I would like to be forearmed when speaking to alarm companies?  Apologies if this question should be posted as a new topic.

I would prefer to re-use the wiring if the installation and it's wiring looks decent.

Wireless varies greatly based on manufacturer, all devices being "two-way" or "mesh" are the key things. No point in sending wireless messages and not knowing if they arrive.

You have to factor in wireless kit is more expensive and ongoing maintenance will be more expensive due to battery replacements.

I wouldn't necessarily be put off by a rewire if required. With a decent experienced engineer and depending on the property intruder rewiring can often be done with minimal disruption.