Security Installer Community

Gardtec 800 series alarm problem

Bdpoop

Hello. Don't know if this is in the right section, Just joined the forum.

I have what I think is a Gardtec 800 series alarm. Its been here since we moved here 22 years ago so obviously quite old.  Lately its been playing up where you set the alarm. Go upstairs to bed and 30 seconds later instead of hearing the beep of it being set the alarm goes off instead.  We had a power cut the other day and since then its been happening all the time but Im pretty sure it was happening on occasion before that.

Any ideas or do I need to call in a professional?  Happy to do that but just thought it might be something simple.

This is the alarm. I replaced the battery a couple of years ago. Had a look round the sensors. They seem clean enough. There was a door sensor on the rear doors but when the doors were replaced it got broke and its just sat on the floor now coiled up in the corner.  I wonder if it could be related to that.  That was some time ago though and its been fine the last couple of years or so since the doors were done until recently.

alarm.jpg

If the battery hasnt been replaced in 22 years its probably cooked.

It will normally say "alarm" on the keypad when you switch it off press yes (or it might be press no) and it should tell you what activated it.

If the battery has cooked, the charging circuit will be pulled down which may have knackered the non volatile memory. So when you had the powercut the panel forgot everything. So when you part set the alarm it didnt know what zones where supposed to be omitted and didnt omit any so if its the bedroom or landing detectors that activated, its time for a new panel  

Whats wrong with Terracotta paint!! ?

Anyway I've fixed it!   I would like to tell you I read the manual and trouble shooting guide and got all technical with it and found the problem but that would of course be a lie.  I noticed it was saying something about Zone 6 12hr when the alarm went off so I figured I would turn zone 6 off which just happens to be the old back door sensor which is now kaput anyway.  However when you go through the menu to turn off the zones it just does a kind of family fortunes XX buzz and says you cannot disable that zone. So I try that with the other five zones and the same.  So then I reset the alarm and hey presto its fine.  Tested it a couple of times and its ok.

I worked in IT for decades and I never really liked it when stuff just fixed itself or got fixed and you are never really sure how.

Jury is out. If it plays up again ill call in an alarm company. 

Cheers

Edited by Bdpoop

2 hours ago, Bdpoop said:

Whats wrong with Terracotta paint!! ?

Anyway I've fixed it!   I would like to tell you I read the manual and trouble shooting guide and got all technical with it and found the problem but that would of course be a lie.  I noticed it was saying something about Zone 6 12hr when the alarm went off so I figured I would turn zone 6 off which just happens to be the old back door sensor which is now kaput anyway.  However when you go through the menu to turn off the zones it just does a kind of family fortunes XX buzz and says you cannot disable that zone. So I try that with the other five zones and the same.  So then I reset the alarm and hey presto its fine.  Tested it a couple of times and its ok.

I worked in IT for decades and I never really liked it when stuff just fixed itself or got fixed and you are never really sure how.

Jury is out. If it plays up again ill call in an alarm company. 

Cheers

I think the Jury will be back soon!