Security Installer Community

Takeover system liablity [Split - Abacus 15R Panel]

9 hours ago, james.wilson said:

re manufacture yes that is why they have defaults.  Its the same on intruder and fire, set defaults.

If you 6wb program something unfortunately you are liable for it. You may have done it right at the time, maybe 12 years ago, but if anyone inherits your programming thats what they did.

Your programming, your issue. Its the way it is today.

You say "unfortunately" being responsible for your work is all part of the job. It's not an issue if it's your own contracted system.

I don't see how you have evidence of what was programmed or not to prove liability. There is no written evidence of every programming option.

If someone defaults codes only they have changed the programming, if someone changes if chime is on and off or user codes, they have changed the programming...

There is a defined line with fire systems and programming, you can service or work on a system and not change how the system functions.

If the system isn't operating as commissioned it will throw a fault. The commissioning engineer would remain responsible, that all makes sense.

I would say intruder most is not demarked in separate level menus like this and difficult to define like that if it hit the fan.

But yes it's how you or the insurance interpret it, I am certainly in agreement you should default on incoming. 

8 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

There is a defined line with fire systems and programming, you can service or work on a system and not change how the system functions.

If the system isn't operating as commissioned it will throw a fault. The commissioning engineer would remain responsible, that all makes sense.

I would say intruder most is not demarked in separate level menus like this and difficult to define like that if it hit the fan.

But yes it's how you or the insurance interpret it, I am certainly in agreement you should default on incoming. 

The main thing I don't like about engineer locking is the fact it makes E WASTE and there has been some legal debates about engineer locking as the panel is customer equipment and you are making the customers unit unusable by another company 

45 minutes ago, Imnotshankled said:

The main thing I don't like about engineer locking is the fact it makes E WASTE and there has been some legal debates about engineer locking as the panel is customer equipment and you are making the customers unit unusable by another company 

No the hardware may belong to client. The programming does not. I can only speak for myself but unlocking is free at the office or done on site for a visit cost. Noone Imo should lock the programming without a free unlock option. Ewaste is an issue I'd agree

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Issue is when the company goes bust...

If you have a service contract you wouldn't make e-waste anyway, your installer would support it or you move to another supported installer.

It's stuff that's fitted then not looked at until there is a fault that causes e-waste issue anyway. Installers aren't necessarily to blame.

It also can be used to make sure all service contract payments are complete before handing over to another company.

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

No the hardware may belong to client. The programming does not. I can only speak for myself but unlocking is free at the office or done on site for a visit cost. Noone Imo should lock the programming without a free unlock option. Ewaste is an issue I'd agree

The main Issue i have here is there was a company here that fitted lots of HKC panels that were all engineer locked and now they gone out of business and no one has the engineer code and they are are all now basically useless 

In my case the other companies have my engineer code and thier contact details if something happens to me

Edited by Imnotshankled

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Issue is when the company goes bust...

If you have a service contract you wouldn't make e-waste anyway, your installer would support it or you move to another supported installer.

It's stuff that's fitted then not looked at until there is a fault that causes e-waste issue anyway. Installers aren't necessarily to blame.

It also can be used to make sure all service contract payments are complete before handing over to another company.

agreed

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.