Security Installer Community

"Bang" testing a window inertia device

Allso

How can I tell if a window inertia device is set-up okay when walk-testing?

Is there a rule-of-thumb that you experienced installers use to set them up?

I realise its a balance between sensitivity and false alarms, but I have to bang my window frame very hard to get it to activate.

Allso

I may get slated for this and they're may be a beter way, but I always use a something that will make a sharp, high pitched tone (like a screwdriver)rather than a dull thud(like your hand). I like to see it take 3 or 4 sharp knocks from the furthest area of glass protected before the shock activates. I like to see it take 1 or 2 of the hardest knocks I can, without breaking the glass, at the closest point on the glass to the shock, before the shock activates.

If you don't know......ask.

I don't know what brand of detectors you are using, but Texecom's Impaq Plus will tell you if they are too sensitive. Also, you only want them to trigger if there's any really heavy shocks to the glass or window frame. You don't want some idiot postman setting it off by banging on the window a bit to loud or something. There are testing devices available, but for a one-off (I assume) you'd be better off using else. Just be careful!

Trade Member

I always use a something that will make a sharp, high pitched tone (like a screwdriver)rather than a dull thud(like your hand).

33882[/snapback]

:yes:

I used to use 2 long drill bits or a bunch of keys until I got a proper c and k break glass tester its ace put it on flex and the sound of broken glass comes out the same time you bang the window it detects the flex.....

great bit of kit and the customers love it.....

:D Garry...

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

I used to use 2 long drill bits or a bunch of keys until I got a proper c and k break glass tester its ace put it on flex and the sound of broken glass comes out the same time you bang the window it detects the flex.....

:D Garry...

33949[/snapback]

Inertia, Breakglass. Did someone change the subject,

Jef

Customers!

Viper test tool at recommended test points...........................now Ive got one. before that same method as everyone else. I usually bang the frame near to the handle/stay as if its jemmied thats where the force presents itself.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived