Security Installer Community

Galaxy RIO Tampers

Abla2425

Hi All,

I am wondering what other installers are finding with Galaxy panels. We find that out Galaxy tend to give us RIO tampers/hi-res on zones out of the blue. Signal lasts about 3 seconds. Then all is okay. Sites are relatively new. Less than 10 years old. Cables run segregated and 680ohm termination on data lines. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,

Hi James, I’m afraid not. We’re going to getting a Dualcom pro in for UDL soon. Yeah. Sometimes it’s a zone tamper or hi-res. Sometime a full on RIO tamper. Go to site. Check with multi-meter. Switches all working perfectly. Voltages all good and not overloaded, smart RIO’s all over. Seems to be from smarts to be honest mostly. Have a common Neg right through. Screen down at panel end only. 680 termination. This particular site is version 6.84. But we seem to experience similar problems from 2 other large galaxy installations. All using 520’s. Very strange. 

47 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

There was a firmware version that was particularly sensitive to high res. But it usually indicates a circuit issue. Is it door contacts? 

James, I think you're thinking about CAN 005 added to the G3 series V5.55 May 2007:

Miscellaneous

High Resistance

Due to a customer request, an investigation was carried out regarding the High Resistance feature

on the Galaxy 3 Series. After exhaustive testing, results confirmed that the panel is correctly

reporting zone resistance problems as per the panel specification. This has highlighted problems

elsewhere on the installations due to either wiring or detector/contact issues.

High Resistance is a feature on the Galaxy that gives early indication of a potential problem with

a zone.It is now thought by some of our customers that in some installations, this alert is simply

not required.

As this Fault condition is not required for compliance with any of the European Standards, we are

releasing this new version of G3 software. It will suppress the audio and visual alert condition

connected with the High Resistance event and will only log this in the event log, viewable by the

engineer only.

2 hours ago, Abla2425 said:

Hi James, I’m afraid not. We’re going to getting a Dualcom pro in for UDL soon. Yeah. Sometimes it’s a zone tamper or hi-res. Sometime a full on RIO tamper. Go to site. Check with multi-meter. Switches all working perfectly. Voltages all good and not overloaded, smart RIO’s all over. Seems to be from smarts to be honest mostly. Have a common Neg right through. Screen down at panel end only. 680 termination. This particular site is version 6.84. But we seem to experience similar problems from 2 other large galaxy installations. All using 520’s. Very strange. 

Common negative?? From panel to Rios and smart Rio?

3 minutes ago, Abla2425 said:

Thanks for your comment al. Yeah got that as mentioned. Screen down one end. And terminated at 680. Really weird. They just come in and out for a couple of seconds literally. Going to check for induced voltage. 

Ok , I didn't think your supposed to do that tho ,  can't remember exactly tho will have a look 

These are dimensions ?

9 minutes ago, Abla2425 said:

Thanks for your comment al. Yeah got that as mentioned. Screen down one end. And terminated at 680. Really weird. They just come in and out for a couple of seconds literally. Going to check for induced voltage. 

Sorry what's that mean screen down one end ? Screen is your zero?

I think that means the Belden shield tied to the panel earth points at one end.

Is this happening on multiple busses ?

Any comm's device on bus 1 ?   

Are all the devices in 61.1.X sitting constantly at 100% ?

It does sound very much like induced voltages messing with the bus traffic.  You would expect to see the diagnostics showing a drop as the checksums get messed up though.

Hi Galaxy Guy. Thanks for the reply. Yes it’s in Beldon screened twisted pair. Unfortunately multiple busses. No Comms device (good old fashioned Redcare) and all look good in diagnostics. However, could dip, as mentioned it can sit fine for days. Even weeks sometimes. Think induced voltage is the best path to take. They did have instances of the AC passing 250vAC. Which I originally put the faults down to. However UKPN have monitored now and has been clear for some time, apparently.