Jump to content
Security Installer Community

Recommended Posts

Hi,


I am having a unique problem with the Galaxy Dimension 520 panel. Currently there are two keypads on the system: one keyprox downstairs at address 10 and one normal keypad upstairs at address 20.

 

I am trying to change out the normal keypad for a keyprox however I cannot get the new keyprox to work.

 

I have removed keypad 20 and attached the new keyprox but whenever I try to add the module it does not appear and either flashes with a blank screen or flashes the *********** across the screen.

 

I tried swapping the new keyprox with the downstairs keyprox and this worked fine so the keyprox has no issues.

 

The normal keypad also still operates properly upstairs so it can't be this. The only difference between the down and upstairs is that downstairs runs on line 2 and upstairs on line 1.

 

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Address 0 line 2 should be ok for the keyprox, how are you 'adding' the module?

 

where did you get the keyprox from also?

 

58 minutes ago, jackaddressable said:

ne keyprox downstairs at address 10 and one normal keypad upstairs at address 20.

 

58 minutes ago, jackaddressable said:

The only difference between the down and upstairs is that downstairs runs on line 2 and upstairs on line 1

which one is it?

securitywarehouse https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Address 0 line 2 should be ok for the keyprox, how are you 'adding' the module?

 

where did you get the keyprox from also?

 

 

which one is it?

Hey,

 

It's an eBay one, no lies here,so there was a risk in buying but I don't know how the keyprox would work on one line but not another, surely it'd just be gubbed if it was an eBay broken one?

 

I've added the module different ways now, once by the procedure in the installation manual, which was to wire it up and exit engineer mode, but I've also added in restarting the panel to try to force it to recognise the device on other attempts.

 

Also sorry for confusing wording, the downstairs devices are wired on line one which goes from panel to keypad 1 and goes in another direction to the garage, both ends are terminated with 680 ohm resistors. The upstairs is only a keypad which is on AB line 2 and is terminated with a 680ohm.

 

I'm relatively proficient with the system, it was left over in the house by the previous owner who installed it, it used to be a Galaxy 504 but I changed it out for a Dimension.

 

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Logan said:

Same place he gets that white powder from 

?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, james.wilson said:

You have the key prox addressed as 0?

The downstairs keyprox is line 1 address 0

 

The upstairs keypad is line 2 address 0 and works but when swapped for the keyprox at address 0 the keyprox won't appear on the system it just flashes **** or goes blank but is still powered

 

Does that work? Or am I missing something about unique addressing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

no what does menu 61 keypads say about address's responding? ie 10, 20, 51 etc

hey, 

 

keypad 10 downstairs has 100%, keypad 20 when using the normal working keypad has a comms level that fluctuates between 60% and 95%, so clearly major problems here.

 

however when the keyprox was used with a test lead direct from panel the same problem was observed even with a 1m cable so i'm not sure if the cable was the problem but your insight would be appreciated

 

50 and 51 have 100% comms

 

thanks again for your help so far :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jackaddressable said:

Hi,


I am having a unique problem with the Galaxy Dimension 520 panel. Currently there are two keypads on the system: one keyprox downstairs at address 10 and one normal keypad upstairs at address 20.

 

I am trying to change out the normal keypad for a keyprox however I cannot get the new keyprox to work.

 

I have removed keypad 20 and attached the new keyprox but whenever I try to add the module it does not appear and either flashes with a blank screen or flashes the *********** across the screen.

 

I tried swapping the new keyprox with the downstairs keyprox and this worked fine so the keyprox has no issues.

 

The normal keypad also still operates properly upstairs so it can't be this. The only difference between the down and upstairs is that downstairs runs on line 2 and upstairs on line 1.

 

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

 

Thanks.

How did you set the address on the keyprox? 

 

Are they all same model numbers be more specific

 

Pictures?

How are you remove the keyprox and keypad physical or by menu aswell?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

How did you set the address on the keyprox? 

 

Are they all same model numbers be more specific

 

Pictures?

How are you remove the keyprox and keypad physical or by menu aswell?

 

Hey,

 

The address was set by turning the rotary switch to zero on the keyprox while disconnected then inserting the terminal block onto the keyprox.

 

The model number used is CP037 for the original keypad and this is being replaced by a CP038-01.

 

The procedure for removal was to remove the keypad CP037 at address 20 physically then delete the module off the system, then add the new CP038-1 at address 20 however it just flashes with stars or flashes with an entirely blank screen but still backlit and does not say MODULE ADDED  when exiting engineer mode.

 

Attached are pictures of the the working keypad and the non working keyprox on the test lead. It flashes with stars and the power LED also flashes and will not be seen by the panel.

 

15 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

id test the keyprox on short lead on line 3 maybe see if it adds key 30 and max 30

 

You thinking it could be a fault with the panel line 2?

 

Thanks all

badkeyprox.jpg

workingkp.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

id want to get to the bottom of the low comms thats normally pretty serious either cable or panel but then if you use line 3 it will prove either

 

okay, will do, thank you

 

should have checked what the diagnostic keypad comms said earlier when it was on a fly lead ugh

 

out of interest, if there are data issues with the cable or panel, why would a keypad work but a keyprox not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jackaddressable said:

 

okay, will do, thank you

 

should have checked what the diagnostic keypad comms said earlier when it was on a fly lead ugh

 

out of interest, if there are data issues with the cable or panel, why would a keypad work but a keyprox not?

Faulty?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, james.wilson said:

No reason the keypad/keyprox is still  keypad 

 

13 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Faulty?

  

Okay, so after some quick tests this morning the following results were noted:

  • The cable is causing the poor keypad communications to the upstairs keypad, as when connecting the same keypad using a fly lead, 100% communications were observed, even with the keypad being on line 2, which might have issues. Are there any issues I should immediately look at before replacing the cable? It's shielded Belden as was recommended.
  • The keyprox does function correctly when attached to line 3 as opposed to line 2 so it seems that the keyprox is not directly at fault?
  • Therefore, line 2 on the Galaxy has some issue where it cannot accept a keyprox but can accept a keypad? Has anyone seen any issue like this before or has any suggestions on cause/things to try and fix? Seems like the Dimension is at fault but these are usually robust panels.

Thanks for the help guys

Edited by jackaddressable
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

i have seen poor 485 on line 2 a couple of times required a panel change

Probably the one he bought on eBay then

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Probably the one he bought on eBay then

 

16 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

lol yeah maybe

yeah, was a used panel off eBay to replace an aging Galaxy 504 Classic, not going to lie.

 

At the end of the day, its not really a problem at all because there's unused lines on the panel and line 2 seems to support normal keypads, the system is for personal reassurance rather than being monitored or on the insurance,  but it is slightly annoying.

 

guess that teaches me.

 

thanks for the help and if anyone has any other ideas or solutions or experience, please let me know

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jackaddressable said:

 

yeah, was a used panel off eBay to replace an aging Galaxy 504 Classic, not going to lie.

 

At the end of the day, its not really a problem at all because there's unused lines on the panel and line 2 seems to support normal keypads, the system is for personal reassurance rather than being monitored or on the insurance,  but it is slightly annoying.

 

guess that teaches me.

 

thanks for the help and if anyone has any other ideas or solutions or experience, please let me know

All good dude 

 

The dimension is a great panel to do weird things with 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

All good dude 

 

The dimension is a great panel to do weird things with 

 

yep, got one more RIO to go onto line 2 so as long as it accepts that then I'll be pretty happy

 

planning to add some security lighting controlled by relays onto it as the next project ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.