Security Installer Community

Outside Bell Box - Siren

Hi

I am wondering if anybody can advise. I have recently fitted a new alarm with outdoor Aztec Bell Box. In my old house I had the Texecom bell box and when completing maintenance on it, I could put it into hold off mode (strobe flash x3) and it would not activate on its battery, even when disconnecting mains supply to it. The instructions on this Aztec says it has the hold off mode, however I am wondering will it also apply if I disconnect the mains supply, or is this just for opening the outside lid. i.e is the only way to stop the Aztec from activation on its battery if mains is disconnected, by turning the jumper within the box to 'no connect'.

Also as my new house is a bungalow, the bell box is quite low. I understand that with the tamper facility and battery within, this is prob the best protection it can give, but I have recently had the idea of buying a separate siren (as in the old style type.... which I personally think are louder, but due to it being more of a trumpet, it certainly wouldn't fit into the modern bell box casings) - would it be ok for me to fit such in the loft (kind of behind where the bell is located on the outside) because im certain the noise would penetrate from the eaves and kind of look like it was coming from the box itself. 

A) is this a safe procedure to have, or could inside noise (within the attic) at 120db create some kind of electrical risk (sorry if that's a really stupid question).

B) If I was to do this, is there a way of disconnecting the self contained siren (only) within the Aztec box, and keeping just the comfort LEDs and strobe active? I don't think it warrants two sirens sounding, should the system ever be activate.

2 hours ago, Alleb2510 said:

Brill thanks for the response 

any idea on the other questions? 

Yes you could do the bell thing, it won't be very loud through eves but why you need it louder outside, just have secondary decent internal bell aside of the internal speaker you might have , you want intruders to leave quickly 

Hi thanks for this - Its not really about it being louder than the self contained one already outside. I was kind of think a more protected siren because the house is a bungalow. I was just thinking having this siren located (behind the actual box) rather than inside it..... It wouldn't matter if it was to be ripped off the wall. Thank you

18 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Yes you could do the bell thing, it won't be very loud through eves but why you need it louder outside, just have secondary decent internal bell aside of the internal speaker you might have , you want intruders to leave quickly 

Hi thanks for this - Its not really about it being louder than the self contained one already outside. I was kind of think a more protected siren because the house is a bungalow. I was just thinking having this siren located (behind the actual box) rather than inside it..... It wouldn't matter if it was to be ripped off the wall. Thank you

Yes, I had no idea they were still in business, as a separate concern.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5509089,-2.1908994,3a,21.7y,253.61h,90.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sZ-aX6tfjyAG-WZ_t6KrP_A!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DZ-aX6tfjyAG-WZ_t6KrP_A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D159.96461%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

A tiny 'A' number industrial unit which is clearly enough for their national reach, with a cool derelict mill behind!

Reminds me of the TATE unit in Cheddar, tiny for a firm that seemed bigger than they were.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands