Security Installer Community

Scantronic i-on16 - replace battery on sensor

Guest James

Hi,

My elderly parents have a Scantronic i-on16 security system at their house.

When the battery life has ended for one of the radio sensors and needs replacing, the navigation pad glows red and a loud alarm siren sounds until the alarm is switched off. It doesn't seem to matter whether the alarm is set (active) or inactive - the alarm still sounds when a sensor needs new batteries. The user guide says there should be a warning alert/bleeps ahead of this but this does not happen. Perhaps it has been installed incorrectly?

It is driving them/their neighbours crazy as happens during the night or when they are on holiday.

Can the alarm be set/reset so that the siren doesn't sound and just the navigation pad glows red?

Thanks for any help you can give, James.

Clearly never been properly serviced then, but as usual the kit gets the blame.

Which sensors do they have, motion ones in the corner of the room, or door sensors that are small and oblong, or both?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

This sounds like Supervision loss due to the batteries needing replacing. The early I-on 16 panels will create a tamper alarm upon a supervision loss which is s real pain in the early hours of the morning. 

The newer I-on panels have the supervision loss option of fault or tamper. A system installed to EN50131 should create a tamper alarm but I always program for a fault alert which turns the navigation pad red and the keypad beeps.

Make sure you change the batteries at least once every 24 months.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

The Alarm was installed in 2016 and since serviced annually, when sensor batteries are changed. The battery in the sounder box was replaced last May.

Set up with motion sensors in the room corners, on windows and has door contacts.

Feedback just received from Eaton tech support - if the panel is old it will not be bleeping and the alarm has an option in Setting Options/Alarm Response to silence alerts but this will mean the alerts will not go off if triggered by an intruder too. 

Sounds odd, because if batteries are changed annually none of this should be happening, except, if it is a supervision alarm only, which tbh also shouldn't be happening on a professional installation.

And to be absolutely honest with quality batteries it should be a 2 yearly event without problems. And although I don't use the wireless bells, 2 years seems really short for them, they are made up of 4 'D' cells.

The ion16 isn't a great panel compared to the rest of the range as it cannot be upgraded; however, a 2016 panel should easily have firmware new enough to have the no keypad alerts option (which may be why you're missing

the battery alerts before they go totally flat), but this would require an engineer to enable it. However, I don't know if it will be new enough to have supervision as fault rather than tamper - I really don't know as the only one

I have is my old demo panel and thats ancient firmware.

It all sounds a bit odd. Is it a large firm that installed it or an electrician etc...?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks again for your help.

The alarm was installed by a very experienced electrician, who we've used previously for other jobs. He hasn't been able to solve the issue.

Seems like the alarm isn't working how it should and that the below comment by Amps is the solution;

A system installed to EN50131 should create a tamper alarm but I always program for a fault alert which turns the navigation pad red and the keypad beeps.

As its not obvious to us how to implement this change, and on hearing comments that the ion16 isn't a great panel,  I'm coming to the conclusion that a replacement is required.

Can anyone recommend a well priced/wireless replacement alarm system that I can research? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Guest James said:

Thanks again for your help.

The alarm was installed by a very experienced electrician, who we've used previously for other jobs. He hasn't been able to solve the issue.

Seems like the alarm isn't working how it should and that the below comment by Amps is the solution;

A system installed to EN50131 should create a tamper alarm but I always program for a fault alert which turns the navigation pad red and the keypad beeps.

As its not obvious to us how to implement this change, and on hearing comments that the ion16 isn't a great panel,  I'm coming to the conclusion that a replacement is required.

Can anyone recommend a well priced/wireless replacement alarm system that I can research? Thanks.

Your better off just swapping to an ion40 

Maybe, but a 30R will even cheaper, it even fits in the same case (CHANGE THE PSU ITS A DIFFERENT VOLTAGE!) and you'll be able to keep literally everything else.

(That said the outer case is exactly the same and as it sounds as if there is zero wired apart from the keypad probably better just swapping the box over)

http://www.touchpoint-online.com/content/i-on30r

Better yet it'll come with the cloud so have an app for the alarm and can log in remotely to disable any problem sensors...

On 15/10/2019 at 11:29, Guest James said:

Something isn't right, I really do suspect the bellbox batteries didn't need changing, unless it really has been going off, a LOT, or the unit was sat in sparkys store for years...

Edited by datadiffusion

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Logan said:

I have a ion 30exd installed in my shed  When there is a low battery i just get a message on the keypad when setting 

Tamper internal sounders only

Full alarm   pa or fire. Internal and external sounders go off

I have no clue why a low battery would cause a full alarm 

Good alarm for sheds