Security Installer Community

Getting sub contractors

As I'm growing the business I've started to need extra labourers.

For the last 9 months I've been paying 3 trusted people I know to help out as and when (usually 1 day a week). This is mainly clipping cable etc they have no technical expertise, although are learning. I'm paying about £130 for a full day.  They cant give much more time than this.

Eventually I want to employ but it's too soon. Maybe zero hours for now.

I'm going limited this year and hoping to get SSAIB next year. At the moment it's a husband and wife self employed setup.

However from reading on here it seems sub contractors are popular. If I can pay a sub to go to a site and fit an alarm to the SDP all by himself it seems too good to be true.

I haven't got perfect physical health so as time goes on I will need more help with the work.

Have I got the right idea on this? What are the going rates in South Yorkshire and how would I find one?

Thanks

20 hours ago, installer_dale said:

This is mainly clipping cable etc they have no technical expertise, although are learning. I'm paying about £130 for a full day.  

Good work if you can get it imo.

We pay between £200 and £260 a day, but most of them are really busy and have a three or four week lead time so you have to plan ahead. I booked one for a week a few weeks back when one of our installers booked his holiday, but a week before he was due to start we had to reschedule a large second fix because there was not going to be mains on site , so it sort of worked out that we wouldnt need him. I had plenty of other work for him but he called and asked if I still needed him and I said that I didnt really but did I have work for him, he said dont worry I have lots of work elsewhere. 

Its hard to say. Some come on here as subbies on 300 quid a day, some employed say they are on a 35k basic.

From my end I rarely use subcontractors and if its was 300 quid I wouldn't.

But subbies that can complete a job for you (I wouldn't) is imo 180ish

But id rather employ people so the quality is controlled. Subcontracting is a nightmare if you want quality 

2 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

120 a day he gets it lashed in time for tea 

one of sia's best jobs I'm sure I uploaded his conduit work

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

We used a couple of subbies recently on a fire job on a high school. To be honest they have done a 1st class job and at reasonable rates.

Far better than my last experience OX.

30 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

That's the thing here, its not real world, we all earn 100k, drive Bentleys and only work for 500 quid a day

I know a subby who used to rock up at the office in his Bentley, I piss you not.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

46 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

agreed but how are you when owed

Right you asked for this, so dont blame me for lack of sleep tonight!

I havent even sent you an invoice for the access control stuff yet

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, whistle said:

We used a couple of subbies recently on a fire job on a high school. To be honest they have done a 1st class job and at reasonable rates.

Far better than my last experience OX.

Sometimes it looks good then you open things up and worry what the rest of it is like 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.