Security Installer Community

Galaxy GD48 internal serial port settings

Flobble

Anyone had success getting the internal serial port to generate a message stream, either in Direct mode or Printer mode?

I'm trying to generate a stream of events for reading by a home automation system (no control of panel needed - trying to keep the systems as independent of possible), but I can't persuade the panel to generate any output I can read.

Set up is:

• Genuine FTDI RS232 cable connected to the internal serial port (TXD/RXD/CTS/RTS/0V) all connected
  • Serial port enabled in the panel; have tried both printer and direct mode
  • Serial port configured as 9600/N/8/1 (defaults)
  • Output using SIA Mode 3
  • Currently looking at output using a terminal emulator on a Macbook

If I have the panel in printer mode it reports printer offline, and if in direct mode, nothing at all happens.

None of the manuals seem to provide useful troubleshooting info, so would appreciate any guidance from anyone who's got this working!

In printer mode I imagine it's looking for some sort of handshake / 'hello' from the printer which it won't get.

In direct mode, is it not like any other alarm comms device in that you need to configure in the panel which events are transmitted (or not)

Possibly also requires a cold restart if you change modes? Also have you got any other device you can either test the serial to USB cable with

or anything with a 'real' serial port?

All guesses as not a panel I use, but worth a try.

Edited by datadiffusion
xtra stuff yeah?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

13 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

It's looking for the SIA handshake. Look up the opengalaxy project.

Yes, thanks - that's where I was heading next.

In the meantime, I set it up in 'printer mode', ran the 'system print' from the engineer menu and boom - lots of (mostly) sensible text.

Happy days :-)

you can also make it print events in real time. I have used that in the past on custom software. But as you say no reverse commands. I'm not good enough to use the mircotech over serial option

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

2 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

you can also make it print events in real time. I have used that in the past on custom software. But as you say no reverse commands. I'm not good enough to use the mircotech over serial option

That's exactly what I'm hoping to do.

Do you happen to know what config is required to see real time events? Ideally I'd be able to see all trigger events as they happen, even when the system is unset.