Security Installer Community

Apollo 65 SD on Galaxy

Litch90

When you have a periodic inspection done on your domestic electrics the no. of smoke detectors are stated on the cert,

Mains powered with 9v battery & 12v alarm detectors are the same price, however 6243Y is dearer than alarm cable....

I'd choose battery only smoke alarms over 12v ones on an burglar alarm, 

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

12 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

When you have a periodic inspection done on your domestic electrics the no. of smoke detectors are stated on the cert,

if youre on about an electrical installation condition report to 7671, smoke detector numbers are not required (ive never seen any forms that even have space to write this either). 7671 does not cover the requirement for them to be there either, so if there is none then nothing will be noted. if they are there then and mains wiring / interlink would be I&T. if its a proper alarm system in FP etc then it would only be tested as far as the power supply to the panel

for those who are so unhappy about having a smoke detector on an intruder alarm, why? i dont usually fit them, but wouldnt have any problem doing so. each system has its pro's and cons, but i cant really see any serious enough to justify not using that method

Edited by andy™

Just now, norman said:

Interested to hear why?

Each battery powered smoke alarm has its own sounder, should it detect a fire it makes a noise

A 12v intruder alarm has the sounder separate from the detection device, combustible cables means the cable or the fuse may be knacked before fire is detected or announced 

• Upvote 2

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

sounders shouldnt be such an issue, sounder upstairs and downstairs should be loud enough to be heard at every point at an adequate level.

Detection circuits easy to monitor With EOL. monitoring the sounder could be problematic, although im not aware of that being a requirement for a grade C

agree on the battery, 72 hour requirement would need a lot more than a little 7ah, even if the system was dedicated to just the smoke detectors and how power requirement for PIR's etc

chances of a wiring fault before a fire is detected is very slim. most wiring would be out of the immediate threat of any fire, at least to the point of the alarm would have detected a fire and alerted everyone in the property before it was compromised. you could however wire the detectors in FP if you wanted to (or if you're feeling very adventurous go for MICC)

11 minutes ago, andy™ said:

(ive never seen any forms that even have space to write this). 7671 does not cover the requirement for them to be there either, so if there is none then nothing will be noted.

we used to hold a NICEIC Domestic badge paper certs used to have tick box & state no. of devices,

Looking at Easycert via VPN I can't see any mention of smokes on Install or inspection cert? 

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

The aico 12v detectors i use, ei186, have a 9v battery and an internal sounder. When not connected to a panel they are essentially a standalone detector but with the added features of a relay output and 12/24v supply to increase battery life plus they are interconnectable. Those ones you have your cake and eat it.

other option is fit a load of mains/battery interconnected devices and fit a relay pattress base to the one closest to the panel and interface that way.

Edited by petrolhead