Security Installer Community

Best panel for home DIY alaram

Hi.

I'd like to replace an old 4 zone alarm system (ADE Concept). I'm quite comeptent at wiring and have a background in IT so OK with reading manuals and programming. Most of the wiring is already in place but I'll have to lay down wiring for a couple of extra PIR sensors. The layout is shown:
http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/topic/40103-pir-placement-advise/

I was looking at the following kit:

1 x Texecom Premier Elite 24 (metal) Control Panel CAA-0004)
1 x Premier LCDL Keypad Display (DBC-0001) 
1 x TEXECOM PREMIER ELITE COM-WIFI SMA WITH AERIAL (CEK-0002)
6 x Texecom MIRAGE DT PETWISE  (ADB-0001)   
1 x Texecom Premier Elite Odyssey 3 (ODY3) Bell (Metal)

Plus wiring, a couple of contacts and a battery. I like the idea of being able to connect to the alarm from my computer and the phone app.

Pricing this up from the internet it comes to about £420. Is this the best kit in this price range or can I do better?

Also, I elected to go for the DT PIRs because they're supposed to be more reliable in terms of false alarms... are they an overkill?

Thanks for any advice provided.

Edited by malfoy

the panel is fine, but there is more to the panel than wiring.

programming requires some basic understanding of what you want it to do, and what its capable of and what things mean.

Alarm manuals are not known for simplicity, they are more round basic wiring, what a function means and where to find it, but not how to set it up properly.

Petwise detectors are only any good if setup correctly and suitable for the animal(pet you have), cats are well known for climbing and jumping up, and once they get above a certai height the pet detectors may not help, also getting robbed by people under a certain height.

Perimeter protection for pets where possible IMO.

Otherwise Bosch Blu Line for pet detectors. 

Expect it to be a learning curve, we have seen many IT bods come and go over the years...

Com-Wifi best set up on a VPN and would recommend LAN instead card if possible to wire.

On 08/05/2016 at 7:33 PM, secureiam said:

the panel is fine, but there is more to the panel than wiring.

programming requires some basic understanding of what you want it to do, and what its capable of and what things mean.

Alarm manuals are not known for simplicity, they are more round basic wiring, what a function means and where to find it, but not how to set it up properly.

Petwise detectors are only any good if setup correctly and suitable for the animal(pet you have), cats are well known for climbing and jumping up, and once they get above a certai height the pet detectors may not help, also getting robbed by people under a certain height.

Thanks. Appreciate the advice. I'm trying to do as much research as I can on everything before I press the button to buy the kit. I'm sure I'll come across things I don't understand. My plan is to keep it simple as possible to begin with and I might need to ask the odd question here if I get stuck on the terminology.

On 09/05/2016 at 6:14 PM, sixwheeledbeast said:

Perimeter protection for pets where possible IMO.

Otherwise Bosch Blu Line for pet detectors. 

Expect it to be a learning curve, we have seen many IT bods come and go over the years...

Com-Wifi best set up on a VPN and would recommend LAN instead card if possible to wire.

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the Bosch Blue line and they look good so think I might switch to them instead. And the ComIP is probably better as you say, I think I can get an ethernet cable to the panel so will look at using that instead.