Security Installer Community

Wiring Questions

bennynoneck

Hi,

I’m ordering all my gear tonight (based around Texecom Richocet Elite 48-W) and will be utilising the hard-wired zones for upstairs. The more I read up about it all, I can see the obvious benefits of wired over wireless, but alas my situation calls for both. Therefore, I’m going to have 3 or 4 wired PIRs upstairs, in bedrooms and in the hallway. I hope in the future I can expand to more wired zones on that unit…

As I’m getting 8 core cable, I’ll run two cables up from the control panel and wire up 2 PIRs on each, CCL style.

I have some questions please:

1. As I’ll have these two cables to wire up at the control panel, when it comes to the tamper circuit, can I use a terminal strip, wire them in series on it (ie for instance, black of one cable to red of the other), and then connect up to the board? Is this a decent way of doing it (especially if you had a lot of cables)? If so, what rating terminal strips should I be looking at, and do I just let it hang there inside the unit?

2. Related to the above, do I just shove multiple cables into the power circuit terminals, or bunch them up in a terminal box first (all the same colours connecting together)? Same difference really I guess with two wires but what do you guys do with loads of wires?

3. On both of these two runs of cable, when I get to the first PIR, there’s obviously a bit of work to be done here to be able to continue along to the next PIR. Would you do all the connections in the loft, and drop one cable down to the PIR (kind of like you do on a lighting circuit where a light only has one set of terminals)? If so, do you use a special junction box or something?

4. In this junction box, my brain is telling me to wire everything up in parallel! The tamper will be wired in series at the control panel so it’s dealt with there. That’s my reasoning anyway. Does this sound right or have I just blown up my equipment?!

5. Not having the cable yet, I’m assuming it’s single strand. I was planning on twisting together and clamping into the terminals. Do you guys tend to do something else?

6. What size cable clips will I need?

I probably have this wrong, but it’s worth a laugh to post it! Many thanks in advance for your continued support. It’s much appreciated.

Ta for the reply.

1. I don't think the panel supports FSL. Would what I say be correct, and if so,

2. Okay, will drop two cables down and join in the sensor. Thanks. Would the following be correct then?

a. Obviously wires 1 and 2 go to the zone for PIR and terminate there.

b. Wires 3 and 4 "bypass" the first PIR and head straight for the second PIR.

c. Wires 5 and 6 for tamper. Would wire 5 go into PIR 1 and then also come out and into PIR 2 where it would terminate? Wire 6 bypass PIR 1 and go straight to PIR2? Therefore wired in series?

d. Wires 7 and 8 for power. Wired in parallel?

God it's a mess. Someone take pity on me! :help:

FSL uses resistors instead of closed loops to signal back to the control panel. This means you can signal alarm, tamper, fault and anti mask over a single pair of wires per detector (powered devices still need a pair for power of course).

EG use red and black for power on both sensors, use blue and yellow for the FSL loop on the first detector and join the green and white through to the second detector.

Trade Member

Thanks.

I can see the crossed wires now (so to speak). I thought I read somewhere that the control panel I'm getting didn't support FSL. If it does, then I'll have to research it all a bit more (sigh!), although in fairness it does sound a more easy set up (assuming that I just use the Texecom PIRs with the built in resistors).

How can I tell if the panel does support EOL / FSL? I was looking at the following and on the second page I read it as EOL wiring not being a function:

http://www.texe.com/uk/uploads/PremierElite_48-W_LIT.pdf

I can just use 6 core cable as well then!