Security Installer Community

Texecom Premier Install Trouble!

There is a school of thought which maintains that you use the same resistor values on all devices, in other words if you do not use resistors in one device then you don't use them in other devices, so a fully supervised loop should maintain identical resistor values throughout.. on all devices..It is suggested that this applies to all panels.

Dangle the bate and one is sure to bite..

"School of Thought" is that define in a Manual, Spec or Standard somewhere?

The thing about "Schools of Thought" is different schools have different ideas.

I do not disagree with the circuit being supervised and will detect a short on the circuit, but there is one supervised loop in the cable, so would suffice for this guys application, Adding 2 more resistors to the problem, is really going to confuse him!.

Thanks for the replies so far,

1. Training to be a Installtion Engineer, First solo project on my own

2. Using the RKP to Program?

3. Used wiring given in another forum as there was limited instructions provided with contacts.

4. Have you check the alignment of the contact and magnet. - How do you confirm this? Also could this arise from the contacts being too far apart?

Would it matter if the front door has a steel panel beneath a textured finish?

I do not mean to be rude and I am trying to be helpful, Everyone has to learn. 

But your earlier comments confuse me?

I would expect a Trainee Installation Engineer to have a some basic knowledge of electrical connections, switches and resistors in Parallel and Series.

Also the ability to read the installation manuals.

The Impact Plus Installation Manual is clear and will also answer your question on Contact Gap when used on a Ferrous Surface.

The manual also details the magnet positions.

The Elite Installation Manual P31, Details the wiring of EOL Circuits with 1 and 2 Alarm contacts.

If this is your First Solo Project, what was you being shown when you was with somebody?

Do you have any background in Electrics or Electronics?

It sounds like you need a really 1-2-1 with your trainer.

While its good to learn how to program via the Keypad. Get a Serial Cable and Wintex. There are just too many setting to configure by the RKP.

For you own education, I urge you to RTFM. (I mean this in a nice way). Some poor engineer has spent there days writing it all for our benefit, for it not to be read.! (Believe me, Engineers hate doing it!)

Having said all that, I am sure I am now in for a beasting.! 

I will repeat, you should really put the Shocks on different zones.

As another member mentioned, you have 2 extra zones in the RKP.

Remember you can run the zone(s) in the RKP back to the panel in the connecting cable, depending on the number of cores.

So, if you run 8 Core to the RKP, 4 are for the RKP(Power and Data) and 4 for RKP Z1 and Z2. Assuming you are not using a pair for Speaker. (Some RKP also support Speaker)

If you must wire the Reed and Shock on the same zone, I have attached the diagram.

Hope this helps

post-69102-0-87424800-1440980339_thumb.j

QXSX

Thank you for your reply, 

I apologise  for your confusion and thank you for your detailed post.

I had read the manual several times and understood the EOL when working with a single device but got tripped up understanding that I could have used the diagram for two normally closed devices for both the door and shock contact..............so I apologise.

With regards to the using the extra zones on the RKP,  A thought that has occurred to me is that If I joined the remaining cores from the RKP to the remaining cores of the door contacts that are already in the panel then I could effectively have the shocks programmed into the two spare zones in the keypad?

So something like this?

Reed to Reed 4k7
Reed to Z1 Control panel

Tamper to Reed 2k2
Tamper to Z1 Control panel

Alarm to Alarm 4k7
Alarm to Z1 RKP
Link Z1 RKP to Z1 RKP (create a loop) or would this not be required?

If not I'll proceed as per the drawing which is close to my initial description I gave at the beginning of this topic the only difference's being that instead of linking reed to alarm I should link tamper to alarm instead and also I should have connected reed back to the panel and not the tamper.........Basically in my current install I have the vibration connected but not the reed (door)?

As For my background, I don't have any previous electronics or engineers experience as such but come from a PC Repair and networking solutions background.

Thanks for the detailed post and I have taken your comments on board, however I will say this sometimes only when we do something ourselves do we really begin to appreciate the things we are taught, and If I didn't keep asking questions I would never find anything out or understand things better.

"..I have the vibration connected but not the reed (door)?.."  Have you lined up the magnet for the contact..If you put your ear to the reed and with one hand, slowly move the magnet towards and away from the reed you should be able to hear a feint click as the reeds open and close...that's provided you want to use it, but it's there so why not use it.

Thanks Charlie

The first use is as a normal door contact then second as a vibration sensor.

Will try again with positioning of magnet and will triple check the connections ………

Correct me if I am wrong but the reed doesn't operate without power???

Edited by BveshPatel

You can not beat hands on, but it is important to know the fundamentals first, or you will blow stuff up.

As Charlie6 said, you can hear the reeds click, but I am finding this more difficult as I am getting older!

Last picture!, In keeping with charlie6 SOT, I have shown the RKP Z1 as a DP/EOL.

You might also want is consider some courses like C&G 1853-02, C&G 2882, Its an Ideal time as the new term is just starting.

I do not know your age, but 16-18 you should get 100% funding and 19-24 is 50%, Not sure on the costs, think it depends on location / facility.

I am sure others on here can provide more information.

Got to go, customer just bust a PIR putting up Coving. 

Hope this helps

post-69102-0-63427700-1441019171_thumb.j

Use a digital meter easier than having to listen......

It's simple case of getting your wiring right and resistors in the correct place

If you want to do a course do a basic course , do one in very basic electronics it will help allot with fault finding imo

Use a digital meter easier than having to listen......

It's simple case of getting your wiring right and resistors in the correct place

If you want to do a course do a basic course , do one in very basic electronics it will help allot with fault finding imo

Course's are always good from lots off ways, Theory and then go and play with what you have just be shown making it work for real, There's always stuff to learn and new ways to do things. also you meet new people and share thoughts and ideas then when the brain hurts go to pub.

Using a digital meter to check things are doing as they should makes it fast to fix a fault ( Does not work on customers they complain when hit with it)

25 Years ago C&G 224 in Electronic Service was what every apprentice when on, the coarse was always fully subscribed.

It seems 224 has long gone. I am not sure what the equivalent is today, It seems most colleges have dropped electronics for Programming and Web design.

So we will have a country of Software Nerds, but no Electronics Engineers to develop the hardware.

al-yeti, "It's simple case of getting your wiring right and resistors in the correct place " - 40 Posts on, Hopefully, the next one will be "It Works!"