Security Installer Community

Scantronic Not Responding After Battery Change

Had a long power cut (major cable fault that required a lot of road digging). During said cut got a low battery (Lb) local alarm, which was silenced by entering user code. After power was restored the panel would not respond to any key sequences, user or engineering codes (apart from a loud beep at each key press). Replaced the battery. As the panel would not respond to keyresses, could not enter engineering so just by removed panel lid. No tamper alarm occured on lid removal. Panel still does not respond. Seems to have got itself stuck in no-mans land.

Key pad showing - Mains LED flashing, Fault and Service LEDs on static, Day LED on static, Display showing Lb (this has been the keypad ever since the User reset to silence the Lb fault)

Any recommendations about how to bring it back to life, without resetting the NVM?

Depends on the panel, some of the old ones do this due to no servicing and life span of the nvm which has or may have lost its programming during the powercycle

Is it a 9800 or 9600 or newer?

Doc probably answer better

9800 or 9800+ if showing 'LB'

I wonder if the power cut has cooked the NVM chip itself, a common fault at this age on the panel.

Try a complete power cycle, mains first then battery, and let us know. Beware of mains voltage if not a trained alarm technician or electrician.

But I would recommend replacement with a 9651, although new NVM chips are still available (despite their obsolescence within the wider IC industry)

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I wonder if the power cut has cooked the NVM chip itself, a common fault at this age on the panel.

Try a complete power cycle, mains first then battery, and let us know. Beware of mains voltage if not a trained alarm technician or electrician.

But I would recommend replacement with a 9651, although new NVM chips are still available (despite their obsolescence within the wider IC industry)

As above power up mains first then battery

I would scrap it, time to spend a little on an upgrade , use existing wiring and get something up to date in, will be worth spending the money

Although 9651 is a good panel, personally would go for the g2-12 there are many others

Has someone stockpiled these? I can't remember the specific IC used, but it's not been made since 1996 or something.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Just done both types of powercycle, ie battery first, and mains first. The keypad is now completely blank, and althought keypresses appear to be accepted, can't get anything on the keypad in terms of display or LEDs. Not even a mains on light - strange.

Looking like a new system. Pity 'cos the wife is not going to be happy about the redecorating around the keypads. Hope we have some spare wallpaper!

Hang on, there is the NVM change to try first! This will require a complete reprogram though which is best left to a pro, and we can't

give out engineer manuals I'm afraid.

But to be quite honest, this is an old panel and a nice new LCD display such as on a 9651 or a Euro Mini etc... would be a huge improvement.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks for that suggestion. I installed the system and have all the manuals, and current programmed data. I can easily do the return to factory defaults, just wanted to see whether I didn't need to do it.  If it wasn't for the long time the utility people took to fix the cable, none of this would have happened. Maybe I could get them to pay!!

Although I like the old and simple (still using a Psion Series3 for all my passwords etc), I think the suggestion of a more up to date panel is probably the way to go.

Anybody know whether the keypads on the 9651 will fit the 'wallpaper cutout' for the keypads I have with my 9800?