Security Installer Community

Internal Speaker

Fahad Abrar

Hi guys

I am brand new on the forum so treat me kindly :proud:

I have been in the security business for the last 3 years. For wired alarms my colleague and I generally struggle for support. We generally install the ADE Honey Wired Alarm with Accenta G4 panel. A customer asked us when the lock/unlock the keypad volume is not very audible so we started to look into an extension speaker. Honeywell told us Sonit1 and we tried to connect it but I panel blew up :strongsad:

So please anyone can explain how to integrate the Sonit1 speaker to the alarm. Or if you know any other good product that you can recommend. Will we be connecting the speaker to the panel or to the keypad.  Please remember we need it as an internal speaker and not as in internal sounder.

Also once we have successfully connected it, can we make it chime when someone enters or exits (not when the alarm is armed). Of course this is with regards to the Accenta G4 panel.

Thanks in advance.

The sonit is a power sounder not speaker I thought, you cannot connect powered sounders to speaker outputs and you cannot connect speakers to power outputs

For speaker connections generally a 16ohm speaker is what you should have connected to the speaker output

Sounders are normally connected to the bell output or a power sounder output but again be careful as to where and how you connect it if negative trigger then one leg to positive and other leg to bell output

Using a powered sounder on the bell output also has to be checked for its current consumption , you cannot put to much load on the bell output

But in general for those panels use an additional speaker on speaker output calculating what your doing

I used the word "power" for sounders so you see the diff with normal speakers otherwise it's not said that way really

Chime will work if chime is on when panel unset as you said it will chime on keypad and speaker

Thanks for the detailed reply.

SONIT1 is listed by the manufacturer as an Internal Speaker.

http://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/products/intruder/alarm-communications/sounders/469980.html

On the alarm panel there is a Bell Terminal and there is a terminal with speaker sign next to it. We connected it to the speaker terminal, on connecting to the speaker terminal it was doing all the same things that the bell was doing and it was not amplifying the sound of the keypad. As mentioned when we connected it to the bell terminal both the panel and the speaker blew up.

This is the alarm panel model

http://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/products/intruder/control-panels/gen4/462384.html

I understand that the chime function just needs activation on the panel so its a programming solution.

Yeah, so if you see the two pictures I have attached showing the terminals on the panel one of them has a speaker sign on it next to Strobe, we connected it to that terminal and the result was that the speaker was doing the same things as the bell. In the other picture you might notice that there is a Sound terminal;  we didn't attempt to connect to that.

post-67778-0-59044500-1421757384_thumb.j

post-67778-0-82880100-1421757393_thumb.j

No your incorrect you must have done something wrong , that gives you fault tones and exit entry and so on , only follows bell on intruder alert as such

Sounds as though you connected it up wrong as there's two terminals for the speaker , easily connected to strobe if your not looking

Either way speaker terminal gives you chime , exit entry , fault tones , I fitted loads of these in the past , so you wired it up wrong or something

These panels are really basic in some respects but easily damaged if not experienced enough