Security Installer Community

Accord Xpc Co Activating Alarm

richkarma

Ah, sounds good, any ideas how I can do that?  This isn't just an irritating beeping alarm, it's a full on internal siren that my neighbours can hear 3 doors away so really can't put up with it for long.

cheers

Do you know the engineer code?

To be sure its the detector and not CO I would put a cover over the detector. If the alarm stops going off then the CO detector is detecting something

Do you know the engineer code?

To be sure its the detector and not CO I would put a cover over the detector. If the alarm stops going off then the CO detector is detecting something

Hi, yes I've now got that zone on a soak test, so will be able to get it sorted out now.  The detector does have a cover but I think it's in the attic.  My plan is to wait for the zone to trigger again, hopefully without the siren sounding!, then to put some cling film over the detector and see what happens.  The detector does have a light on it which I assumed would be lit up if it had indeed detected some CO.  After a bit more poking around on t'internet, I've seen it said that the sensors in CO detectors last for 5-6 years so maybe that's the problem.  Thanks for the input everyone !

Well that didn't work, it's gone off twice since.  Stood on a stool and twisted the detector anti-clockwise and took the bottom half off the ceiling.  I can now see what make and model it is (Thorn SGU601) Apparently the detector head needs servicing every 5 years.  If I can't source one locally tomorrow I can get one from Tyco part no. 616.023.001

goncall, on 16 Dec 2014 - 8:51 PM, said:

how about forgetting the switching it off bit and get someone out in the first instance

richkarma, on 16 Dec 2014 - 6:57 PM, said:

I just want to turn the whole thing off while I organise someone to come and look at it. 

Removing the detector has stopped the siren sounding which was the reason for my post in the first place.  Then I was going to organise someone to come and look at it.  It seems that I'll be able to do it myself now anyway but thanks for the reply :-)

Removing the head has obviously disabled your CO protection which isn't the cleverest thing to do, no professional is going to recommend you do that.

Also you have now disabled your alarm system arming as a 24 hour circuit should be active. If you press reset the alarm will also start sounding again.

Overall the system should have been serviced regularly, then the replacement date would have been spotted before causing you an issue.

If the system was serviced and under contact, an engineer would have been available to fix it there and then giving you piece of mind.