Security Installer Community

Ion40 Help With Installation

Hello all.

I am an electrician and new to security alarm installations.

Might be a long post so don't get annoyed please.

I have an ion40 alarm, all the sensors, door contacts and sirens have been hardwired using the normal 4 pair alarm cable.

Link to engineers manual removed... Norm

The panel is a 16 zone panel, I have 8 pir sensors, 4 door contacts, 1 outdoor siren, 1 indoor siren and a keypad. The control panel also has a speach dialler module which just clips on to it.

So all the cabling has been done and I've started to connect them but don't know if I'm doing it correct or not.

What I have done so far:

For all the pir sensors and door contacts, I've bunched all the 12v + and -, and have them connected to the aux 12v + and -.

For all the pir sensor, I've connected the alarm (wires) together, two zones spread over 2 zones (3 terminals) using a common. I have also connected all the tamper (for pir sensors only) and joined them in the 16th zone (3 terminals, using a common).

And thats about it....don't know what to do with the rest, I have a bunch of resistors (that came in the box) but don't know if they are needed or not.

As stated before, I'm and electrician, a very capable one but limited to mains wiring. I've fitted many fire alarms, really big units too so thought this would be similar to those but obviously I was SOO wrong.

Any help will be much appreciated..

Kind regards and good day to you all.

Edited by norman

So all the cabling has been done and I've started to connect them but don't know if I'm doing it correct or not.

What I have done so far:

For all the pir sensors and door contacts, I've bunched all the 12v + and -, and have them connected to the aux 12v + and -. 

For all the pir sensor, I've connected the alarm (wires) together, two zones spread over 2 zones (3 terminals) using a common. I have also connected all the tamper (for pir sensors only) and joined them in the 16th zone (3 terminals, using a common).

And thats about it....don't know what to do with the rest, I have a bunch of resistors (that came in the box) but don't know if they are needed or not.

As stated before, I'm and electrician, a very capable one but limited to mains wiring. I've fitted many fire alarms, really big units too so thought this would be similar to those but obviously I was SOO wrong.

Any help will be much appreciated..

Kind regards and good day to you all.

OK, this is more a generic alarms issue than anything do with the Ion.

First things first, what make of PIRs and door contacts are you using?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Hi,

Yes, just to clarify, there is no problem with the alarm (so far), I just don't know how to install it.

All the contents of the alarm, the control panel, pir's, door contacts, sirens etc came together in one package.

The pir and door contacts are made by 'optex'.

The outdoor siren is a 'premier elite odyssey 3 & 3m'

The pir and door contacts are made by 'optex'.

Are you sure? I didn't think they made door contacts. Not being picky, we do need to know.

Either way they (ideally) need to be the types with EOL resistors built in, but suspect they aren't if its a kit.

Special ones if they need 12v feed :-

Like he said!

What's the current draw of the pirs and current supply of the panel?

I think there is about 600mA going spare on this panel so guessing 6 PIRs will be OK. But a fair and relevant question for the OP to confirm.

However, sounds like there are two bells and the built in speaker driver takes a hefty wack, 150mA I measured I think. If used.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

So you normally don't need 12v power going to any door contact

The reistors go in the pirs and the door contacts a specific way, manual should show you this

I don't know this panel, does it have a global tamper aswell? Dr fusion ?

Two sirens? As said above perhaps a speaker aswell but if it's one of those small piezo sounders they don't draw that much

Back to the doc!