Security Installer Community

Cooper Menvier 9651

Well yes!...cat5 is for cat5 applications, 8 core alarm cable is for 8 core alarm cable applications, Why else would there be different cable types?.

Sadly, a point beyond the grasp of more than the OP Rich.

Sadly, a point beyond the grasp of more than the OP Rich.

I don't think anyone said it was the 'correct' cable, just that it isn't the cable type that's causing tamper or O/C problems.

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more..

It could still very much be the cable type causing O/C problems, seen it a hundred times on DIY / carp installations.

The copper can quite easily break underneath the insulation esp. if its CCA tat.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I don't think anyone said it was the 'correct' cable, just that it isn't the cable type that's causing tamper or O/C problems.

never said they did and never said it was.

Simply alluding to the fact it happens more than it should.

That said, the propeies of that cable means you can't say it isn't the cause - without testing.

never said they did and never said it was.

Simply alluding to the fact it happens more than it should.

That said, the propeies of that cable means you can't say it isn't the cause - without testing.

My apologies, I thought perhaps you were alluding to my post. I'm always tectchy when I'm due on :)

Agree completely with the testing aspect, which is why I tried to direct OP down that avenue.

It could still very much be the cable type causing O/C problems, seen it a hundred times on DIY / carp installations.

The copper can quite easily break underneath the insulation esp. if its CCA tat.

Then I apologise to the OP for misinforming him.

I'm afraid I'm new to this game, with a mere 26 years experience, and, whilst I have come across many cat5 an TP installations (especially back in the days of BT and even Modern using it regularly) I can probably count on one hand ones where the cable broke just from being bent round a bend or into a CP, and those were due to other factors in play, not just bent cable.

I have, I concede, seen many where the copper has broken due to bending/scoring at termination or where the external sheath has been stripped and the internal sheath has been scored, usually due to a ham fisted attemp at termination with poor tools and skills, (again also seen in poor quality alarm cable terminations), the reason I told OP to check all his terminations.

I have also seen broken cables where excessive force has been used when the cable is pulled in, although, to be fair this is equally likely to happen whether it be cat5 or alarm cable.

The point I was trying to get across was that rewiring the whole system in alarm cable would not remedy the faults OP is experiencing. The cables need to be tested to find the fault, and just rewiring it won't solve his problems.

However now that I stand corrected, I suggest OP pulls all of the cat5 out and rewires it, as is, in 6 or 8 core, muli strand, .22mm, tinned copper cable.

We can then guarantee that all of the existing tamper and OC faults will dissapear.. :D:P

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more..