Security Installer Community

Equipment changes

Deltaseven

What is the general opinion on changing customer equipment which is in good working order, but obsolete? Fo example, changing a mechanical bell for a nice new shiny one just because it is old? Or, recommending a change of detectors because the existing ones have been in for 12 years and will eventually start to cause false activations (depending on the make and model).

Are your maintenance engineers actively encouraged to suggest such upgrades, or only when a fault is apparent?

D7

If I see ageing detectors (the great big oblong box things for instance) I usually mention how technology has advanced in the last 10-15 years etc, how double element PIRs are less susceptible to spiders etc,etc,etc

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

You say they are reliable and don't cause false alarms, but how well do they actually work? Do they still pick up as well as the used to? Could they be bypassed with slow, perimeter movement? Do they have sealed optics?, etc etc etc

I'd recommend upgrading every time.

You still using your Spectrum ZX for gaming gaz?!

;)

If you don't know......ask.

To add a little twist, what if you were doing a take-over, and the panel was (say) a Castle Omega 5, and the passives were all (say) Scantronics Arrowheads - all installed in 1994. Would you recommend changing them then - even if they were all working OK? Would you treat this site any different to an existing site (installed by you in 1994)?

Just playing Devil's advocate here...

D7

To add a little twist, what if you were doing a take-over, and the panel was (say) a Castle Omega 5, and the passives were all (say) Scantronics Arrowheads - all installed in  1994.  Would you recommend changing them then - even if they were all working OK?  Would you treat this site any different to an existing site (installed by you in 1994)?

Just playing Devil's advocate here...

D7

24686[/snapback]

I'd still recommend upgrading

Honesty is often the best policy. I would be upfront with a customer in this situation, telling them everything works ok and it's not the worst system out there, but new systems are better for whatever reasons and easier to service, saving them money on time spent fault finding etc.

If they believe you and they can afford it, most will upgrade. If they don't, they don't.!

like I say, I'd still RECOMMEND an upgrade, but it's the customers decision ultimately.

I'd also recommend my own customers to upgrade their equipment after 10 years!

You say they are reliable and don't cause false alarms, but how well do they actually work? Do they still pick up as well as the used to? Could they be bypassed with slow, perimeter movement? Do they have sealed optics?, etc etc etc

I'd recommend upgrading every time.

You still using your Spectrum ZX for gaming gaz?!

;)

24649[/snapback]

you would say that bri..........now youre a budding capatilist.. :whistle:

sealed optics ect etc...in a word ****.....techno bull**** for **** installers..right detector right place =no problems...

lol

this could be fun

what's bull's hit about stopping spiders getting inside a passive?

Also, these are the views I have as an employee and hopefully will carry on as self-employed. You are implying that when I have to pay for sensors myself and spend my own time replacing them, I am more likely to sell customers an upgrade.

The way I see it, if a customer has a bag of s**t system, I would be quids in to leave it that way. No time or money upgrading, charging for callouts when it goes wrong and a nice maintenance contract every year.

I'd only recommend an upgrade because I believed it to be good for me and the customer, not to make an extra few quid out of them.

Also right detector, right place = no problems..... I agree, but were talking about up to and over ten years ago. How many premises do you go to that have remained the same for ten years? About as many that haven't, I bet!

Systems are inherited, premises used for different things. Detector technology has advanced a lot also.

Eagerly awaiting your reply and don't give me all that 'the old ones are the best' ****, because in most cases it just isn't true!

;)

Archived