Security Installer Community

Ade Optima Compact Keypad Frozen

SiroVai

Hi,

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I moved into my house 5 years ago and it came with a ADE Optima Compact alarm system. Here:

7404754.jpg

The previous owner only left the alarm code and nothing else. It's been working fine for 5 years until recently when for an unknown reason the keypad has become frozen. By that I mean it's unresponsive and the buttons don't beep when pressed. All lights are on including the keypad backlights.

My questions are:

1. What is the likely cause of this problem? A battery issue? It hasn't been replaced for at least 5 years.

2. What type of battery (Model/Make#) does this control panel take? This is so I can order one in before tinkering with it.

3. I've read that if you remove the panel the bell will go off?

4. I need to fix the keypad now before the next powercut. If the power goes off the alarm sounds and with the keypad not working I won't be able to silence the alarm. So, what do I do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

New battery and power off/ power on and reset panel. External bell will/should sound when power removed and stop when powered back on. If this doesn't happen the bell requires new battery and checked for operation. You can test this from panel end.

The battery you need is a 12v 2.1/2.3AH. I would recommend a Yuasa type.

Maybe phone a local installer for a price to service the system.

!

Hi

Welcome to the forum

Hard to tell if it is the battery or not without looking at the panel, the battery is well overdue replacement, that said it may even be too late a dodgy battery could have irreversibly damaged the charging circuit.

The battery will be a 12v/ 2.1Ah to 2.4Ah they come in various Ah depending on the manufacturer 

The panel should go into tamper when you take the lid off and I would not advise you do this if you are not competent with mains electricity I say should, I have a feeling yours wont.

If it doesn't tamper, recycling the power before changing the battery should get it working Warning if it all goes wrong and you cant stop it sounding please dont blame me you should really get an alarm engineer in to check it

Lastly if everything does go well (or appear to) I would still get someone that knows what they are doing to check the charging circuit

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm just going to get a service engineer out. There's too much possibility for things to go wrong.

I have a quote of £45 for call out and repair from a local company. How's that sound?

£45

I'd snap his hand off. We would wouldn't attend a job we didn't have a service contract with at all and even those with wouldn't probably get much change from £150 so £45 seems a bargain, a little too much of a bargain.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Just on Friday seen an SSAIB in Bristol advertising £49 all-inclusive callout for anyone. Sigh.

He'll even send you a free manual even if you never are or never will be a customer.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm just going to get a service engineer out. There's too much possibility for things to go wrong.

I have a quote of £45 for call out and repair from a local company. How's that sound?

Yes, be prepared to be told 'it can't be fixed' and 'you need a new one' I'd say. Too cheap for a reason.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

You missed an important bit out. £49 all inclusive UNTIL they go bust then you'll be left out in the cold on your own. Make no wonder there are so many alarm companies up for sale.

What's the old phrase, buy cheap pay twice?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Agreed, being public I'll leave it there.

OP I would do as much internet research on the co as you can.

If you call others, go with the one you feel most comfortable with, not the cheapest.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Archived