Security Installer Community

Changing External Bellbox (Without Engineer Code)

Hi,

I want to change an external bellbox for an elderly  neighbour, it is one of those huge blue ones about 6 to 8 inches deep with a blue strobe in the middle which were quite popular about 20 years ago!

The alarm panel is an aged but reliable Scantronic 9452 but the blue bellbox is falling apart.  I have bought a Texecom Odyssey 3E and want to replace it, however we don't have the Engineer code as the relative stopped the £100 a year service contract several years ago (not surprised) and the ex-service company will not give the Engineer code to him.

Anyway, I am electrically competent having done house rewires and fitted 3 alarms 15 years ago (Scantronic 9448 ones), my question regarding changing the bellbox is:

1)  Is it best to pull the 3A spur fuse, disconnect the backup battery, put some ear defenders on and change the bellbox or......

2)  Put on some ear defenders and just change the bellbox with the panel still powered.

Obviously I know about not shorting cables together.

If 2 is the best way, is there a best order to connecting the new 3E bellbox back up?

Finally, a separate question, in my house I have had to move a radiator during a kitchen refit and I have a PIR (Pyronix Quad, 15 years old), I assume it is best to relocate the PIR!

Many thanks

however we don't have the Engineer code as the relative stopped the £100 a year service contract several years ago (not surprised) and the ex-service company will not give the Engineer code to him.

Doesn't seem that unreasonable? My home brodband costs me £720 per year so £100 for an alarm seems small change in comparison.

and the ex-service company will not give the Engineer code to him.

Quite right too. This is confidential to the alarm company. Before answering your other part of the thread. Do you know if the alarm is set that tamper alarms are engineer reset only or if they are an customer reset? I assume customer reset but I just wanted to check you are sure on this point otherwise the minute you tamper it, it is going to need the engineer code you haven't got to reset it.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

The manual for this system fits on the back of an envelope (literally) so I don't think engineer only resets are even an option.

I stand to be corrected if needed though!

matt,look at join date and posts

huh?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

The manual for this system fits on the back of an envelope (literally) so I don't think engineer only resets are even an option.

I stand to be corrected if needed though!

huh?

Nope you are indeed correct. Just looked at the 'very indepth' manual. Alarms can be eng reset but not tampers so that's not an issue then :)

1)  Is it best to pull the 3A spur fuse, disconnect the backup battery, put some ear defenders on and change the bellbox or......

:yes:

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived