Security Installer Community

Honeywell 8 Zone Intruder Alarm Problem (Hw8Mk)

Hello Goncall and Matthew,

I am a bit taken aback actually by what is being said.

Is this forum just for professional installers to help each other? If so, why is there a diy section? Is that for those coming into the trade?

I can phone up a car mechanic and ask him questions by explaining a problem to him, I would hope he would give me an honest and genuine answer. I "might" take his advice on board and try and fix the car myself.

Is this diy section to generate more work for those registered on it or to sincerely help those who might install an alarm themselves?

I think we have all tried things away from our own trades and sought advice off others.

Is this forum just for professional installers to help each other?

Not at all :)

If so, why is there a diy section? Is that for those coming into the trade?

The point is we are installers of alarms and happy to assist you with your problems and are the right people to offer that help. Manufacturers playing at doing the same is a contentious issue.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Is this diy section to generate more work for those registered on it or to sincerely help those who might install an alarm themselves?

I've only been here 18 months or so but in that time I haven't seen any evidence of installers here trying to find work from people in the DIY section. The advice is offered 'as is' for no gain other than the fact a nice feeling we have helped someone out.

The point is, Matt doesn't have one. 

I ain't the only one who has an issue with this . . .

Only my personal opinion but I don't believe amateurs should be allowed to play with things they shouldn't. I'm of the old view of leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. I have a gas boiler downstairs and as I aren't a gas engineer apart from turning it on I won't touch it because I don't know what I am doing. I'm of the belief people should stick to what they know but I'm sure 95% of people would disagree with me on that.

Same at home I get the decorator to do the decorating , gas engineer to do the gas, carpet fitter to do the carpets and plumber to do the plumbing.

Maybe it's just me :)

that's because you ain't a tradesman

+1.

Jigsaw, take no notice. You literally missed a button push when programming the zones. This is no big secret nor conspiracy. You do not need a degree to fit these panels (Accentas etc) 

Only my personal opinion but I don't believe amateurs should be allowed to play with things they shouldn't. I'm of the old view of leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. I have a gas boiler downstairs and as I aren't a gas engineer apart from turning it on I won't touch it because I don't know what I am doing. I'm of the belief people should stick to what they know but I'm sure 95% of people would disagree with me on that.

Same at home I get the decorator to do the decorating , gas engineer to do the gas, carpet fitter to do the carpets and plumber to do the plumbing.

Maybe it's just me :)

Will this be your response to anyone who asks for help in the diy section?

Are you seriously saying you have never done any diy that involved you asking someone's advice?

Archived