Security Installer Community

Honeywell 8 Zone Intruder Alarm Problem (Hw8Mk)

Thank you Matthew. : )

Are they not supposed to? : ((

It's frowned upon by most professionals in the industry. Manufacturing of equipment and providing support to end users are 2 completely different skill sets and neither side do the other side well at all.

My personal issue with it is generically an end user doesn't possess the information to do the job properly and often ends up creating a complete abortion which often won't do exactly what it is meant to. The problem is by the lack of training they are clueless to the mistakes they have made. Think of it with a car. I have a standard UK driving license so I am competent to drive the vehicle and use it on a day to day basis. If I called up ford because I had an issue the last thing they would advise me to do is get under the car with my spanners and start loosening cables or pipes that ultimately could lead me to harm myself, cause a fire or complete failure of an important part. They would advise me to take it to a garage where a mechanic who has the experience, training and tools to do the job properly could sort out the problem which in all likelihood would be a minor one. After I'd been let loose with spanners the minor issue would be a major one as I don't know what I'm doing.

Installers offer so much more in what is usually a very small monthly fee that gives you access to 24/7 support and expertise to ensure the alarm does what it should when it should.

why's that all they did was tell him a user function

It's the false sense of security that any issues, call the manufacturer. (9-5 Mon-Fri) will be dealt with and encouraging looping the installer out of the question. There are numerous benefits for having a support contract with an installer and end user support is not a manufacturers job. DM went down the route of direct selling to end users. Look what support that won them from their loyal fanbase.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

It's frowned upon by most professionals in the industry. Manufacturing of equipment and providing support to end users are 2 completely different skill sets and neither side do the other side well at all.

My personal issue with it is generically an end user doesn't possess the information to do the job properly and often ends up creating a complete abortion which often won't do exactly what it is meant to. The problem is by the lack of training they are clueless to the mistakes they have made. Think of it with a car. I have a standard UK driving license so I am competent to drive the vehicle and use it on a day to day basis. If I called up ford because I had an issue the last thing they would advise me to do is get under the car with my spanners and start loosening cables or pipes that ultimately could lead me to harm myself, cause a fire or complete failure of an important part. They would advise me to take it to a garage where a mechanic who has the experience, training and tools to do the job properly could sort out the problem which in all likelihood would be a minor one. After I'd been let loose with spanners the minor issue would be a major one as I don't know what I'm doing.

Installers offer so much more in what is usually a very small monthly fee that gives you access to 24/7 support and expertise to ensure the alarm does what it should when it should.

It's the false sense of security that any issues, call the manufacturer. (9-5 Mon-Fri) will be dealt with and encouraging looping the installer out of the question. There are numerous benefits for having a support contract with an installer and end user support is not a manufacturers job. DM went down the route of direct selling to end users. Look what support that won them from their loyal fanbase.

but you would have charged for giving that simple info,it's no different to ringing ford and asking what a fault light meant I'm sure they would tell you and advise accordingly

but you would have charged for giving that simple info,it's no different to ringing ford and asking what a fault light meant I'm sure they would tell you and advise accordingly

We can continue this chat on the 'other side'

why..no point in having a DIY section if no one helps the diy'er

I have opened a new thread. I didn't say I had an issue with US helping the end user via the forum, as we are installers, not manufacturers.

The discussion of manufacturers assiting end users is for trade not public discussion.

why..no point in having a DIY section if no one helps the diy'er

Exactly. It's a cheap tat DIY panel. Why wouldn't Honeywell do it? They don't do it for the panels that our side of the fence care about.

Exactly. It's a cheap tat DIY panel. Why wouldn't Honeywell do it? They don't do it for the panels that our side of the fence care about.

I've never had a problem with honeywell always helped when needed

Archived