Security Installer Community

Apollo Fire Beams

timmo66

Tomorrow I am going back to a site which we did a one off service on a couple of weeks ago.

We flagged up the fact that the fire beams (2 x addressable sets and 3 x conventional sets linked to a card) are not activating in fire nor fault. The panel is an advanced and the beams are apollo (the reflector plate type).

The addressable ones are showing normal on the panel, and the conventional ones are showing a green LED on the front of them, so I figured that all were aligned correctly. To test them I tried two things, one was to spray smoke and another was to slowly block the reflector with a piece of cardboard. Nothing worked. I then blocked the reflector for a good 10 mins expecting a fault, but still nothing.

I am looking for a little bit of guidance as fire beams are not something I have worked on before.

I fitted some fire co beams a few years back which were xp95 .

There was an small controller just for the beams maybe they need setting up.

Are the reflectors clean ?- if they wernt I'd have hoped it would show a fault.

Had a quick flick through the manual.

I'd check which mode the beams are set in and if required start from scratch and set them up again .

Are they recognised by the panel as beams or as a standard xp95 optical? ( haven't used them on an advance panel before)

I fitted some fire co beams a few years back which were xp95 .

There was an small controller just for the beams maybe they need setting up.

This is what I thought. There has to be a controller of some sort. But I couldnt find one anywhere. By the looks of the wiring though, there isnt one. Loop in and out to the back of the beam.

Are the reflectors clean ?- if they wernt I'd have hoped it would show a fault.

Yes all clean, I did that at the time thinking it might have something to do with it. But like you say, Id have hoped for it to be in fault too if dirty.

Had a quick flick through the manual.

I'd check which mode the beams are set in and if required start from scratch and set them up again.

Are they recognised by the panel as beams or as a standard xp95 optical? ( haven't used them on an advance panel before)

This is not something I checked actually. I will make sure I do this first thing. That might cover the addressable ones,  but not the conventional ones. Also on the conventional card by the way are call points, which WORK - so they prove that side of things.

conventional ones are the same design as the addressable. But these DO have a control panel.

site is made up of a few different buildings that used to have old systems in, so when they upgraded the main building they brought the others into play with conventional cards.

On the addressable ones just check the sensitivity adjustment modes in the panel are. Might be a delay etc or set up with the wrong values and that they are down as the xp95 reflective beam detector

Not sure what the fire category should be it defaults to CAT B.

Archived