Security Installer Community

Advice On A Replacement For A Sterling 10 System Please

Darren_M

Hello all,

I would like some advice please. I have a Pyronix Sterling 10 alarm system that has been mega reliable over the last 12 or so years. The problem I have now is that the buttons on the remote lcd keypad no longer work. In fact I've been chasing the code around the panel moving to characters that still work for a few years now. However, I'm now faced with the situation where the 'set' key needs a 80 kg weight (me) to arm the system.

Reluctantly then, It's time to move on and replace. I made contact with Pyronix and asked where I could by a like for like system. I'm aware that they still manufacture a sterling 10 model, but from the response I got from them, it sounds like none of the new sterling 10 parts (i.e. remote lcd keypad) are compatible with the old systems.

Therefore my questions are:

Is there a remote lcd keypad on the market that will communicate with my ageing sterling 10 alarm box?

If not. To utilise the existing wiring, PIR's (x3) and sounder unit (very basic I know). What system is my best option baring in mind my main aim here is not to disturb any wiring at all. I just want to install alarm box and remote LCD keypad on the end of the wiring my current inputs and outputs are already attached to?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Ps. I am an Instrument Technician, so I spend lots of time interrogating instrumentation via local ui's or with laptops or other hand held communications equipment plugged into wiring looms, so this stuff does translate to me at least a little. However, this does not make me an expert installer of security systems, hence I need the help.

Hi Darren,

That system is pretty obsolete now as you've discovered, and whilst we have a Pyronix expert here, I'm betting nothing from 

the new range will work with an old control unit.

As for a replacement, if you do want to DIY it, there are loads of similar entry level panels out there from the Scantronic 9651

which would be my choice, to the Euro Mini from Pyronix and the Texecom Veritas with LCD keypad. And others!

You will possibly have to make some minor changes at each PIR though, no new wires just changing to EOL wiring. It will all

be in the manual for the system you choose. It might be worth changing them for what it would cost?

Hope that helps!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks very much for the reply datadiffusion.

You mention EOL. Are you referring to End Of Line resistors that monitor the system such as in fire alarm systems? If so are EOL resistors new to security systems because I wasn't aware of any in my current sterling 10?

If they're new then I'm assuming that the latest control units will need to see a healthy EOL resistance to be happy and the latest PIR's will have the EOL resistor built in?

What make and model of PIR would you install with the Scantronics system you recommended?

Finaliy. Will my current sounder work with a new system, have they changed at all over the years?

Many thanks.

You mention EOL. Are you referring to End Of Line resistors that monitor the system such as in fire alarm systems?

Similar idea but you have 2 on intruder

If they're new then I'm assuming that the latest control units will need to see a healthy EOL resistance to be happy and the latest PIR's will have the EOL resistor built in?

They need to see a healthy EOL but also there is a second resistor that tells it that the system is alarm. Not all pir's have built in EOL but the panel will come with resistors that can be fitted to ones that don't.

Finaliy. Will my current sounder work with a new system, have they changed at all over the years?

Sirens haven't changed at all so will work with any alarm. When you say sounder I am assuming you mean siren as if you mean a loudspeaker not all panels can drive speakers.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived