Security Installer Community

installation/user manuals

Guest 9651

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colin

I take it you and all your engineers are trained on every panel out there and willing to take on anything.

I'm using the galaxy as an example, we have menvier, gardtec, scantronic, castle, ademco etc on monitored contracts but yes if a customer wanted me to takeover a system with an oddball panel then I would tell them that we would only take it over if the panel was changed.

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

I take it you and all your engineers are trained on every panel out there and willing to take on anything.

No I am not saying my engineers are trained on every panel, but what i am saying is that it not particularly difficult to have a knowledge of a lot of panels and have a basic set of information that can be called upon if needed. If we get a panel that we dont know, we will seek the information neccessary to be able to do so, if it is encrypted or locked then yes we would change the panel or get it unlocked.

No one can know about every panel, but in most companies there are staff who may have worked on one, that can give support via a telephone. Your point that you would change the panel on takeover simply because you are not trained on them isn't fair to the customer. The customer turns to you as they see you as a professional who can help them and as such if you dont know how to do something you should either not take the job on to start with or get the training or assistance neccessary to support the job.

Standardisation leads to efficiency. The obvious down side is a loss of flexibility, but why learn every panel when the ones he has mentioned do the job?

Very true Rich, standardisation does lead to efficiency and yes for all new installs we fit the same range of panels, but you do a "takeover" essentially only inheriting the install as it it is providing it complies with the regs. It not financially vialble to both the customer or the installer to change a panel on every takeover simply because you dont use them or haven't been trained. Yes if the panel subsequently goes wrong and needs to be replaced then fitting your standard panel is the obvious route to go. Changing the panel at the start of a takeover only seeks to limit your market place by making your costs non competitive with other companies in the market place.

So it's ok to telephone the engineer that's not on call at 03.00 in the morning because you've not worked on it and he has.

And provided you have told the customer why you want to change it then it's up to him whether he wants to use the company thats been recommended to him in the first place.

And it's not a matter of if you don't know how to do something but if you want to do something. And that's my point, I would not take on the job unless I was sure that I could give the customer the best possible service. It's then their choice whether to use us or not. The professionalism is in running the company that can provide the best possible service

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

So it's ok to telephone the engineer that's not on call at 03.00 in the morning because you've not worked on it and he has.

And provided you have told the customer why you want to change it then it's up to him whether he wants to use the company thats been recommended to him in the first place.

And it's not a matter of if you don't know how to do something but if you want to do something. And that's my point, I would not take on the job unless I was sure that I could give the customer the best possible service. It's then their choice whether to use us or not. The professionalism is in running the company that can provide the best possible service

23408[/snapback]

its called teamwork,i would expect the same if i was stuck.....

The professionalism is in running the company that can provide the best possible service

And that includes knowing when it is best to take a job on or not!

You wouldn't be doing a takeover at 3 in the morning.............would you? so you wouldn't need telephone support and surley you would have got the information on the panels beforehand that a 3am call wouldn't be neccessary.

But as you say its the "Customers Choice" or should I say money :lol:

At the end of the day if your customers are happy that in order for you to support them at a level of professionalism that you are trained to, then great so be it. But just remenber if there friend down the road had the same system as them in the first place and they get another firm that gives them a professional service without a new panel, what will they think of you then.

Training isn't a once in a life time proccess its ongoing.

23408[/snapback]

its called teamwork,i would expect the same if i was stuck.....

23410[/snapback]

Same here, I've had to call other eng's at silly o'clock in the morning when i've been stuck. I provide the same support to the other Eng's in return.

we all muck in to back each other up when we need it. :yes::yes:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived