Security Installer Community

installation/user manuals

Guest 9651

Hang on a min!

The point was replacing a Galaxy for a scantronic/menvier panel. :o

Probably the most commercially used, most popular, most functional panel in the UK if not beyond. Not to mention its a doddle to use espcially for engineers.

I dont do much Intruder these days but i still know enough to say the Galaxy is a far better panel and as for Galaxy Gold, you dont need it, its a usefull tool but not required in most cases.

I accept the argument of standardisation but to remove Galaxy panels cannot be cost effective in the long term. Training your guyz has got to be cheaper if you harbour ambitions of taking over large amounts of systems. ;)

An interesting debate; do you change the panel on a takeover?

And some entrenched views too...............

I guess what the customer wants is paramount, but in most cases they probably won't care what the panel is. Any more than they care if their laptop is made by Dell or Compaq or whoever. Just as long as it works.

I'm an IT guy and, based on what we do, economic reality will probably decide. It's probably both cheaper AND gives better customer service, to put in a panel your company can support well. End of story. And that will depend on what you find is economic for the customers you deal with.

For some that will mean a change, for others, it won't. There's no "right" answer.

Training is good, and essential, but you can't train on everything.

I agree, very interesting subject.

I like having a varied knowledge of control equipment and find it can very handy from faults to interviews. I know a lot of engineers who pride themselves on the various panels they know the programming of well.

On the other hand, I like standardization and am considering (when I'm up and running) installing only one brand for each application. eg, Texecom for domestic alarms, galaxy for commercial. Also, I'm considering not taking over any systems at all. If a customer wants a system from me, it would be a fresh install (using cabling I considered to be to standard where possible, reflecting in the cost)

I think this would increase efficiency and profitibility in the long run

Do you agree or do you think it's foolish not to 'do takeovers' due to the potential business I would lose?

If you don't know......ask.

Guest gazza_rog
Im off to price up a take over tomorrow - its an Omnicron 7000 

I just dont know what to do 

Is that an earlier version of Betamax or Video 2000? :D

23470[/snapback]

money, money, money...

Hi Brian,

I think you need to judge each job individually. Dont dismiss any enquiry though on the grounds of the job not being up to scratch, but think of it as a sales opportunity.

If its a half decent job which you are happy with them take it on, but if its a pile of junk then be straight with the customer and spend a bit of time pointing out faults with the owner. More often than not they know it's a **** system that's why they have called you in, they just dont say as much because they think you can fix it with a magic wand!

My own policy is Ill service or repair any half semi-decent  system for a fee, but will only put my name (ie. bellbox) to a British Standard job with what I consider to be quality equipment.

23474[/snapback]

Good advice I suppose, what about standardizing equipment, though? It would be nice from a business point of view!

If you don't know......ask.

If its a Non monitored alarm they can keep there system so long as its upto standards.

No approved company should be taking over non-compliant monitored equipment, if were asked to take over say a 4 year old gardtec 800 series (non DD243) we must tell the customer that we need to make his system compliant by updating whatever is required.

Surely your all in the same boat.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Chemical

If I was asked to takeover a system and the installed panel was not one that I was familiar with, I also would change the panel (no matter what was in it) to an equivelant that I and my engineer's would be confident in all aspects of it's use. There is nothing worse than an engineer turning out to a fault in the middle of the night and having to sit and read a manual before he touches it. Do you accept systems no matter what? . I don't think so :no:

23384[/snapback]

As said... The point was replacing a Galaxy for a scantronic/menvier panel.

"Probably the most commercially used, most popular, most functional panel in the UK if not beyond. Not to mention its a doddle to use espcially for engineers."

Fair point about being familiar with control panels but we are not talking about some oddball panel. Changing the control panel if the system has lost police responce and needs to be DD:243 is fair comment or is bespoke ie //.National Installer.// Focus or a Europlex running some oddball software variant etc. But control panels should not just be changed just on the merits of 'we haven't seen one these before' surely?

Note: I am not on a back hander from Ademco Microtec :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Technical Manager

NSI/LPC Approved Alarm Receiving Centre

South Manchester

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

can of worms :whistle:

can see both sides of the arguement here!

i'm only an installation monkey, its not my company so i don't make the rules, our bosses are happy with the menvier equipment we fit, they are reliable and reasonably eng friendly......2500??!!

like i said, we MAINLY only fit menvier equipment, all of us know them inside out, quirks of the systems if you will. All the customer wants is an alarm system to fit round their needs, and is reliable, with competant engineers to back it up. They don't know the difference between a galaxy or a 900+ for example, if it works and gives them the protection they require, then they are happy.

i on the other hand like learning aboout and seeing other panels etc, i havent seen or worked on galaxy panels, but i know they are a quality product.

i'll enjoy my play

• 2 months later...

Hmm,

An interesting and somewhat varied debate on the relative pro's and con's of the ever popular Galaxy. So just for the record I would like to add my comments - bringing to bear 20 years of experience in this field- you can stuff the Galaxy. It's one dimensional and completely bland. I go for Friut and Nut every time - now thare's a real bar of chocolate. King Size, natch !!

Steve

Archived