Security Installer Community

Voice Biometrics?

Abbeyfs

Hi Guys

A customer of mine has asked that I install a unit onto his driveway gate, allowing him and his children to set and unset a perimeter alarm system and unlock the pedestrian gate.

I have repeatedly tried to push him away from voice recognition but he is adamant he wants it.

I am going to tell him that I will fit one but I will not offer any guarantees on reliability, sort of a "I told you so" in 6 months when he is still having problems.

Am I being too sceptical and does anybody know of any reliable and secure voice recognition units? Have any of you installed such devices and would recommend a manufacturer or specific product? 

I wanted to fit him an ievo fingerprint reader as I found them very reliable but he has assured me that his mind is made up and that is what he wants.

Thanks for your help.

Don't just tell him.

Put it in writing and clearly stating you do not recommend it and on that basis like of reliability cannot be placed at your door - so to speak.

Me?

Hate biometrics and external units even more so.

I'm glad that I was not being too sceptical. It sounds like you are thinking they won't be very reliable too.

Putting it in writing is the way to go I think. It wouldnt suprise me to see him back down once he realises im not going to offer any guarantees on reliability.

Thanks guys.

I did a job a long time ago which opened a bedroom door on voice recognition which worked great until he's had a few beers and then it couldn't understand him.  He was found one night fast asleep outside the bedroom door in a drunken mess..

Voice biometrics are the worst of all biometrics.

Easy to fool by recording or emulation.

Expensive.

Don't like wind noise.

Not seen it seriously used for a long time.

In the smartphone era seems daft to even consider it!  TBH until mentioned I couldn't even say who made one.

Customers eh!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I did a job a long time ago which opened a bedroom door on voice recognition which worked great until he's had a few beers and then it couldn't understand him.  He was found one night fast asleep outside the bedroom door in a drunken mess..

That description could be applied to many.

Archived