Security Installer Community

Alarm advice

Guest runboy

Guest runboy

Sorry to ask as I'm sure many others have done, but here goes.....

I have a choice of:

Yale wirefree alarm (dials out if triggered)

Visonic wirefree alarm (except for power to bell box, but the rest is wirefree)

Or my insurance company offering installation of a wired bell box, 2 PIR, 2 door contacts for £399

All wirefree alarm prices work out the same as the wired alarm by the time I've added a couple of sensors over what you get in box.

So is it wirefree and DIY, or £399 wired and done for me....

Anyone know what the Norwich Union Direct alarm deal is like (this is the £399 wired offer above)?

Thanks all.

i agree with the concensus although the price seems amazingly low for a wired system - whats the catch?

my bet is they tie you into a 5+ year maintainance deal at a high cost that you will find hard to get out of if you change your mind BUT THAT IS ONLY MY OPINION AND NOT TO BE TAKEN AS FACT! - ask the agent or rep if you have to take up an maintenance as part of the deal and if so how much/yr and for how long

My advice is to get some quotes fom local reputable NSI/NACOSS/ETC firms.

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

NOOOOOOOOOO.

forget the wireless option. more trouble than it's worth.

Get the yellow pages out and ring round some companies for quotations for a nice WIRED system, if it's correctly installed it should look like it's wireless as most if not all of the cables should be hidden from sight.

Oh, make sure that the companies are NSI or SSIAB approved.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Here is the text from Norwich Unions site:

"We've teamed up with Eastern Services and Gardiner Technology Ltd to provide our customers with the chance to protect their home for less. Norwich Union Direct customers can benefit from a highly competitive audible (bells only) home alarm for only £399.00* or a monitored option for only £550.00*. The package consists of the control unit, 2 passive infra-red detectors, 2 door contacts, a siren and bell box.

*All prices include installation and VAT

Both alarm products are approved by the Security Systems and Alarm Inspection Board (SSAIB) and the monitored option is linked to a NACOSS (National Approval Council of Security Systems) approved central monitoring station.

Both options are flexible because you can add extras like an additional door contacts or passive infra-red detectors if the size of your property requires more coverage. The standard package however does adequately cover most homes. Other extras available include panic buttons, dummy bell boxes, smoke or pet avoidance detectors"

Thanks for all the comments so far!

on the face of it its a good deal as far as i can see but i,d be interestrd to see what equipment they are intending to use.

i would ask the question as to what manufacter(s) they intend using and then get an competive quote from local approved installers

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Archived