Security Installer Community

Nice 'loop' On This Install By A Bafe Firm

The standards do say that all joints etc are required to offer the same level of resistance to to the effects of fire as the wiring system used, and also that all joint boxes should be labelled.

Using 4 core is poor practice on a addressable system, but you do see a lot people use it for additions to a existing system and I can appreciate why, and if the cable was damaged or cut at a later date it would cause a open circuit and only the additional devices would be lost (I would expect this to be less than a single zone).

If the loop is wired from the panel in 4 core then the main issue is that damage to a single cable could cause loss of the whole detection loop, and same with Matt's original pic where the loop is linked at the panel with just a 2 core leaving the panel a break in the cable or loose connection could cause the loss of multiple zones.

When I have upgraded non addressable systems in the past in stages to meet the clients budget and with as little disruption as possible, I have swapped the panel for addressable, fitted zone monitors for each conventional zone, then as the client upgrades various sections of the building to addressable we have just swapped the zone monitor for a line isolator and swapped the devices on this zone for addressable, although it is a spare from the loop by taking it through the isolator a cable fault would never result in the loss of any more than a single zone and is much better in  my opinion than much of the butchering that goes on when people try to upgrade systems. 

The standards do say that all joints etc are required to offer the same level of resistance to to the effects of fire as the wiring system used, and also that all joint boxes should be labelled.

Using 4 core is poor practice on a addressable system, but you do see a lot people use it for additions to a existing system and I can appreciate why, and if the cable was damaged or cut at a later date it would cause a open circuit and only the additional devices would be lost (I would expect this to be less than a single zone).

If the loop is wired from the panel in 4 core then the main issue is that damage to a single cable could cause loss of the whole detection loop, and same with Matt's original pic where the loop is linked at the panel with just a 2 core leaving the panel a break in the cable or loose connection could cause the loss of multiple zones.

When I have upgraded non addressable systems in the past in stages to meet the clients budget and with as little disruption as possible, I have swapped the panel for addressable, fitted zone monitors for each conventional zone, then as the client upgrades various sections of the building to addressable we have just swapped the zone monitor for a line isolator and swapped the devices on this zone for addressable, although it is a spare from the loop by taking it through the isolator a cable fault would never result in the loss of any more than a single zone and is much better in my opinion than much of the butchering that goes on when people try to upgrade systems.

We have done the same but only on one site i can recall.

We normally try to link the zones ect to make a 2 core loop.

Budget rules tho!

When I have upgraded non addressable systems in the past in stages to meet the clients budget and with as little disruption as possible, I have swapped the panel for addressable, fitted zone monitors for each conventional zone, then as the client upgrades various sections of the building to addressable we have just swapped the zone monitor for a line isolator and swapped the devices on this zone for addressable, although it is a spare from the loop by taking it through the isolator a cable fault would never result in the loss of any more than a single zone and is much better in  my opinion than much of the butchering that goes on when people try to upgrade systems.

MC. I hope I have he wrong co but some years ago I'm pretty sure your crowd beat us on a job in Warrington Birchwood. It was the worst case of thrown fire alarm cables across the ceiling I've seen in years. I hope I have to retract as your clearly clued up with fire. If I'm right you don't practice what you preach. International shipping co!

Customers!

MC. I hope I have he wrong co but some years ago I'm pretty sure your crowd beat us on a job in Warrington Birchwood. It was the worst case of thrown fire alarm cables across the ceiling I've seen in years. I hope I have to retract as your clearly clued up with fire. If I'm right you don't practice what you preach. International shipping co!

jb-eye, not sure you have the right company but by all means PM me, I have been with the company for just over 5 years and we where the first company in the North West to achieve BAFE, every single installation is internally audited and to my knowledge we never cut any corners and certainly in my 5 years at the company I cant recall single incidence of a complaint regarding the standard of installation.

We actually lose out on a lot of work because we insist on doing it correctly, and likewise we also gain a lot of work for the same reason.

To be fair This could be dismissed quickly. GEODIS

I Have never heard of it, I know it is definitely not on our service database (I have just checked) I can check our installation records but I doubt very much that it is anything to do with us, what made you think it was?

I Have never heard of it, I know it is definitely not on our service database (I have just checked) I can check our installation records but I doubt very much that it is anything to do with us, what made you think it was?

Secret informant :proud:

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

In that case I owe you an apology I was told it was the co you rep after we lost the job. It complied except for the lashing in.

Customers!

Archived