Security Installer Community

Honeywell G2 Or Enforcer For Domestic

Hello,

I've just moved into a 1930s 3 bed house that needs complete renovation. So at the moment we have floorboards and stripped walls.

I've had some quotes in based on the following: 1 door contact, 5 PIR, bell and dummy bell.

Both panels would be located under the stairs, but we'd have a prox reader by the front door (additional cost with the Enforcer as prox is on the panel).

The Honeywell would be wireless, other than the keypad and siren.

The enforcer prox would be wired.

The cost difference between the two installs is small, with the Honeywell being more expensive.

As there appears to be little difference in cost, what would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

There are installers here that will prefer the Galaxy and some that prefer the Enforcer. The reality is both are more than suitable for what you want. If it was a personal choice I would want a Galaxy but that is more due to my familiarity with the product rather than anything negative about the enforcer. The other issue to consider is that the alarm company who install it for you may cease to trade or you may fall out with in the future. There will be slightly more installers who would take over a Galaxy than an Enforcer but again this is more down to our familiarity of the product as it has been around a long time and practically every engineer in our industry has used it.

That said I would much prefer a wired system to wireless, If I were in your shoes I would be trying to convince the Galaxy installer to make it hard wired rather than wireless and if not I'd give the job to the installer that was wiring it with good old cables.

On the Galaxy I presume it is a G2. It's a basic version of a bigger panel but it does the job well and has proved reliable. We have used some of the Honeywell wireless equipment and not rated it so high. In a domestic situation the range is ok but on larger commercial installations it doesn't really work well without an excessive amount of receivers.

Hope this helps.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Hello Matthew,

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted a wired solution, seemed common sense- wires being better than wireless and only having floorboard throughout the house

This particular company salesmen was keenest to push the wireless system and the Enforcer had better wireless tech than the G2. So the design

Hall, Kitchen, Lounge, Dining room, Landing: PIR

Exit door: standard contact

The Enforcer door contact was almost as big as the doo, which i wasn't keen on

---

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the rewire has already happened. 

We weren't considering an alarm at all, but, as we had an attempted entry though some french doors just before Christmas an alarm has become a top priority.

Then go for the Galaxy.

Agreed.

I also don't share the view that the enforcer has better wireless technology than the Galaxy either. It's range is a little poor but that is my only issue with it.

That`a why you can use two RF RIOS. Always handy in some situations.

We always did put multiple RF Portals when using wireless, but we had to install such a rediculous amount of them to maintain a decent coverage and the limit on the GD meant realistically we couldn't install enough receivers to provide a reliable coverage on the sites we tried it on. We wanted to sell Honeywells RF temp / flood devices but the range proved to be a hinderance.

Agreed on a G2 in a res with 1/2 receivers there shouldn't be any issues.

Hello,

What are the rules on this forum for offering work? I'm based in KT4

I want to avoid the nationals and work with a smaller reputable company that is going to do a good job with the wires. 

We'd also like the system to have keyholder response.

Ahh good old KT4. Funny enough another Kingston job was mentioned earlier.

Hang around and you might get a PM.

I`d avoid the biggest two around there for a start. Sorry cannot names names but you`ll have probably seen them by now.

Archived