Security Installer Community

Changing Wired Alarm Pirs

KeithS

For example, I have a pain in the erse west dog and had a small extension built to the back of the house. I covered all windows and doors with contacts and shocks.

I did run a cable for a pet immune PIR and when fitted put it on chime with the dog in the room.

Over the space of 2 months there was 5 chimes and that was the wee mutt jumping on the couch barking at cats when they were in the garden.

1 x Gardtec then changed to a Bosch PIR and it was always the same.

I would go perimeter.

!

Anyone with pets we spec perimeter protection only (in areas were pets will be present) or we don't quote at all.

We usually get " But ABC company have told us that our cat will not be a problem with the " special sensors " they supply."

I wish we could advertise " Pets at home ? Don't bother to phone ! "

Having said the above, the Visonic pet immune ones are good (not), a herd of elephants could get past them at times !!!!

Still wouldnt use any pet immune pir's though, no matter what the manufacturer claims.

Not quite right visonic k9-80's are *****, visonic k9-85 are spot on.

I dont why firm are scared of pet immune, sure there are a load of ***** PI pirs out there, but also a couple of decent ones, that do work if installed and set up correctly.

I have had issues with pet immune in the past. all down to RTFM, installation/location and set-up.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I was very sceptical with pet tolerant detectors, but if you follow the instructions to the letter with the bosch they work very well.

I had an Alsation jumping around on a bed for dog biscuits and I could see the detector in the mirror and it wasn't seeing anything until I stepped out from behind the wardrobe, I am very confident that they do work.

I am not saying we haven't had false alarms but when we have had its not normally been down to the detector seeing the animal but more what the animal had done, and thats mostly moving doors and curtains, causing stuff to move etc. I had one where the dog had worked out how to trigger the alarm as soon as the customer left the building for work around the same time every morning. If the customer left the house in the afternoon the alarm would be fine. I met up with the customer one morning to find out what was happening, I watched the dog through the hall window the customer left the building setting the alarm as soon as the alarm was set the dog jumped at the lounge door, it swung closed and the alarm went off, the detector in the hall was seeing the sun from the lounge window as a heat source and it was suddenly disappearing when the door closed. I reckon the dog was deliberately doing this so the customer would return to the house.

Thanks for enlightening me on Pet PIRs.

1 The system has just one Contact on the front door, i.e. no Contacts on the kitchen window and door. It seems to rely on the 4 PIRs. I would have expected more door/window Contacts, irrespective of PIRs. However, I don't know whether they want to start lifting carpets and floorboards etc. to add Contacts as they are just trying to buy some time before replacing the system.

2 This is an old semi with fairly high ceilings and the PIRs are in the ceiling corners. Are there any tips for fitting the new Pet PIRs to try and make them as effective as possible?

3 The PIR in the front room faces the window and they tell me it has given false alarms. Am I correct in thinking that the PIR is badly positioned?

4 I noticed that there does not appear to be a Spur for the Control Panel. Am I correct in thinking that there should be?

I appreciate all the comments received and, even though there is no financial gain for me, I find it really interesting.

Thanks

Keith

2) Fit at recommnded height, ensuring the mounting surface is as flat as possible.

3) This is possible, also possible the PIR is faulty or old.

4) Yes, a spur with a 3A fuse.

What happened to 1? qfa

Follow the instructions they will tell you what not to do, and make sure the animal cannot get within the recommended safe distance by jumping up onto work surfaces etc

• 3 weeks later...

Made a start by trying to fit Spur. Switched off mains but outside Siren went off and Panel went dead. Decided battery must be faulty (only 18 years old).

As we couldn’t do any more on the Spur that day, we made sure we could go into Engineer Mode and this worked fine with the lights changing as per the manual. We also looked for the Aux Power Contact mentioned by MrHappy but could not see it.

We left the System in Engineer Mode overnight.

Next day we fitted a new battery and were then able to switch off mains without Siren sounding. We then fitted the Spur which was straightforward. At some point we noticed lights had changed from previous night to Tamper and Zone 2 but unsure whether this happened before or during fitting of Spur. Wondered why this was so and how we should proceed to isolate the PIRs to fit the new ones.

Anyway, decided to refit the Panel Cover for the time being but as soon as we started to do this and the Spring was touched the internal and external Sirens went off. We then realised that the Keypad was dead (no beeps or reaction to our entry). We could cut the mains and disconnect the battery but the external Siren was, of course, still sounding. About to get a ladder and stop the Siren when it all went quiet. Probably only a minute of noise but seemed like an hour. Don’t know why it went off or stopped.

The Panel remains lit up with Tamper and Zone 2 but the Keypad is dead - Zone 2 is merely a PIR in one room but hasn’t been touched and sees no more traffic than other PIRs.

Very disappointed at this stage as no idea what we did wrong.

My questions

1 The manual mentions 3-core mains cable but the installer had chopped the earth, i.e. there was only pos/neg when I fitted Spur. There are also only 2 wires from the connection block to the PCB or wherever they go. Is this correct?

2 Can you tell me where I find the Aux Contact to isolate the PIRs?

3 Now the dreaded question, how do I get Keypad working again?

Thanks very much.

Keith

Archived