Security Installer Community

Bentley Alpha V2/4 Info And/or Suggested Replacement

EdGasket

That Bentley panel must be at least 25 years old, must of been looked after very well. Life expectancy for most electrical items is around ten years in most cases. I cant think of any electrical item I have owned that has lasted much beyond 10 years. £125 does seem expensive (Mind you nobody has asked what this includes (It could be fully comp)) but when you consider the panel has lasted twice its life expetancy I reckon its good value for money

The £125 includes maintenance plus callout if there is a problem (does not include monitoring). So it's not bad. But the thing is I could afford to replace almost the entire system every year for less than the maintenance charge if I do the work myself. As I said, the wiring is all there so it's just a connecting up job and a little knowledge.

we still maintain lots of old Bentley panels, very resilient imo and the customers like them.

Why not approach your maint co and ask if they will upgrade as a gesture of goodwill, failing that ask them to review their charges based on a couple of more quotes you could obtain.

A well maintaned system is worth every penny imo and I'm sure you'l agree when it's gone tits up and ringing @ 03:00 on a Sunday morning.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

That's exactly why if I learn how to maintain it, I can fix it sooner than a third party can get to me. There doesn't seem to be anything too difficult about it unless there are any 'engineer mode' or 'lockout ' quirks on the alpha board that have to be reset with special key sequences. Hence my request for any info on this board. Perhaps you can answer this, norman, as you still maintain them? I have had no response from Bentley's themselves.

I have the manuals but you need to be in the trade to allow them to be on the site.

£125 including call outs are not to bad.

Our fee is around £55 a year but not for parts.

The thing is, if your alarm starts ringing in the early hours, will you be able to correct it?

Get a few quotes to see whats around your area.

Update: Bentleys sent through a data sheet on the Alpha :)

Guess I just need to know of anyone's recommendations for a replacement wired panel should the need arise. I suggested a couple which have good reviews but are not BS/EN compliant as pointed out. If anyone has any better recommendation, please post.

Archived