Security Installer Community

Dome Camera Water Leaking Into...

valks1

Hi

I have a dome camera which is metal cased.

It has 4 bolt holes on top to allow fixing, it also has a sticky back foam pad which overs the top area.

I have stuck the foam pad down, then pushed the bolts through the foam, these are then bolted to a horizontal plate on top of a 5m post. I have put silicone around the holes, but now i discover the camera has filled with water.

What is the proper way to mount these cameras using this method, can i use rubber washers etc...

Can someone please advise.

The fixings should have rubber washers on the inside, making sure the washers seal between the fixing and the housing correctly.

Is it possible the water is getting in via the cable entry?

It could be possible that standing water on top of the plate is slowly leaking in through the fixing holes.

Also bear in mind silicone cures by absorbing moisture.

Wet silicone inside a housing, may not cure correctly or trap in moisture if not left to cure fully before sealing the lid.

Dont waste your time using cheap silicone, go for Tech7 or Stixall in clear, they seal and cure with no moisture issues, put a good bead around the holes where the fixings are as well

also watch the side entry hole make sure its facen down, the amount of these i have seen with the side entry hole at top, even though they have a screw in cap and o ring they can still leak

Dont waste your time using cheap silicone, go for Tech7 or Stixall in clear, they seal and cure with no moisture issues, put a good bead around the holes where the fixings are as well

also watch the side entry hole make sure its facen down, the amount of these i have seen with the side entry hole at top, even though they have a screw in cap and o ring they can still leak

Agreed, I use glazing silicone, better quality does help.

Still only use silicone as a last resort tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived